Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 11-14-2009, 09:59 AM

Default Two more reasons...

Reason 1: In the 70's there was a movie that came out called Middle Aged Crazies with Bruce Dern. Bruce's character was the grown son of a Texas millionaire with a huge business empire. His dad was not only the king of this empire but also the king of his family. When the dad dies, Bruce is thrust into the role of reluctant king. After feeling the crushing weight of all this and with everyone coming to him for all the answers, he declares, "I don't want to be the Daddy any more!" All that to say, when you're out fly fishing, regardless of what you temporarily left behind, there are no life-altering decisions to be made, no emails to answer, no bills to be paid, nothing but you and the stream. For a short while, you don't have to be the Daddy (or Mommy). It is, for me, the ultimate escape, if only for a while.

Reason 2: There are a bunch of great people who fly fish. Whether it's good old boys and girls, city folk or country folk, swamp stompers or Yankees, once you put a rod in their hands, they are (for the most part) all brought to a common ground. They are (again, for the most part), great people to be around. And it's a pleasure and an honor to be counted amongst them.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 11-14-2009, 11:47 AM

Charlie - I agree completely with your point number 2.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:41 PM

I agree with reason #2. In our fly club we have men and women from all walks of life. We have drs, lawyers, principles, contractors, railroad men and many other careers. This wonderful sport of flyfishing has allowed me to meet and become friends with many wonderful and diverse friends.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Charlie B, you are a wise man. Thank you for sharing your reasons; I agree with both of them wholeheartedly.

Paula

Old 11-15-2009, 08:46 AM

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 09:52 AM..
Old 11-18-2009, 02:13 PM

For our 30th, in Sept. of this year, my wife and I fished in the Yellowstone area for 2 weeks. What a blast. Our daughter, son-in-law and 2 grandaughters joined us for the second week - and all fly fished with us except our 1 year-old grandaughter - but it won't be long.

I am so lucky that my family not only supports my fishing, but they want to be part of it. So, I fly-fish largely to combine my passion for Creation and my family. It's a great combination for me!

Pat