Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fisheries Management & Biology

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-21-2009, 10:10 AM

One program WV and TU has to get the youth interested in the outdoors is the Trout in the Classroom program.

http://www.troutintheclassroom.org/

IMO, it is the best program TU has ever developed. It is a coordinated effort of industry (grants), TU (support/coordination), WV DNR (eggs), and of course the schools/children.

Three years ago we had 4 schools with TIC, it has spread like wildfire and this year have ~25 schools with 4 TU chapters supporting the program.

Earlier this year I hauled the fish to the stream for two of the schools. It is the best feeling I have ever had working within TU; to see these kids with posters, poems, cheers, etc. It is amazing!

How many of these kids will continue to maintain there enthusiasm for the outdoors, I don't know, but it has to start somewhere.

As for me, I'm doing my part with my son.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=SANY0246.flv

As for the cost of license, up until about 5-6 years ago I would buy an annual out-of-state TN license. When things were "froze up" here in WV, I would fish the TN tailwaters. Tennessee jacked there license by ~65% in one year and I haven't bought a TN license since. I buy the NC out-of-state and restrict my fishing to the park...not that that is a bad thing!

Chris