Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Salmon and Steelhead

Old 11-21-2009, 02:06 PM

Default Michigan Manistee Record Brown Trout

I like to see and read about big fish. I remember reading about this on internet and viewing a piece on CNN when it happened. The trout has been certified as a new state record and is pending certification as the new all-tackle world record.

41lbs 7oz brown trout while fishing for salmon.

On my plane ride home this week, I read about it again in Field & Stream.

Here's the link:
http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos...rown-trout-cau

Here's the video from CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/liv...ord.trout.wwtv

Here's the outfitter's link:
http://www.ultimateoutfitters.com/todayontheriver.htm

Here are 2 pics:

Old 11-21-2009, 08:12 PM

That is definately one ultimate fish. If I ever get blessed enough to catch something like that some one call my wife, cause God is fixing to take me home. Man that's what dreams are made of.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:19 PM

Fish that big are caught on fly rods in TDF one of the fly fishing magazines discussed it recently.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:56 PM

I did not spend that much time on the article, but Iím pretty sure it did not state that many details:

how/when (time of day) it was caught?
what type of rod and # test of the line?
lures/baits/flies?

Itís funny, when I look back on those pictures, I think: HOW MUCH and WHAT does a fish like that eat?

M-
Old 12-03-2009, 07:33 PM

Does anyone know if that fish was kept or somehow miraculously released....i am guessing 99% that it was kept to be put on the wall.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:56 PM

Dead lots of pictures of it floating around being weighed by the game and fish guys.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:11 AM

This is definitely an awesome fish...surprising similar to the one I caught the other night in a dream that then got eaten by a bear, which I then fought out of the back of a pickup truck as a friend drove. Very strange dream...but I'm serious...that trout looked exactly like this one!

If you go through the 19 photos in the photo gallery on that top link, you can read more about the specifics of the catch. To answer the earlier questions...

The article states that it was caught at 8:30 in the morning, and from the pictures, it appears to have been a relatively sunny day.

As for the rod, line and lure info, the article is quoted as saying: "The fish hit a silver-and-black Rapala Shad Rap SR-8, 3-1/8-inches long. The rod was a 9-foot medium-heavy Cabelaís XML spinning rod, matched with a Prodigy spinning reel spooled with 30-pound-test PowerPro."

Very cool stuff.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:40 AM

Looks like this fish was caught with a guide service from a local outfitter -- most if not all of the outfitters have "catch and release" policies. They would not permit a client to keep a fish, especially a world record-sized fish. They would want to release it to provide an inducement to future clients to catch the fish again.

Besides, can't taxidermists nowadays provide a mounted fish simply based upon some photographs? That way the trout can live to fight for another day while the client gets his mount -- a "win-win" situation, don't you think?
Old 04-05-2011, 12:52 PM

Some taxidermists can make a fiberglass reproduction but they are almost as expensive as the real thing. I would wonder how long a fish like that would live in the future for someone else to catch him. I had read of carp anglers in Europe catching the same carp over the years and watching it grow.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:20 AM

Default Reproduction Mounts

The reproduction mounts can look better than the real fish, you don't get the drying up of the parts over time, particularly the fins and gills. The quality of the jobs depends on the quality of paint job to duplicate the true appearance of the fish. I think it is urethane foam, with an artificial skin laid on. I would rather have the fish back in the water to spawn, improve the gene pool, whether it is ever caught again is not much of an issue for me.
Best,
John