Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 11-05-2009, 10:57 AM

Question Shopping for a new 8wt line for redfishing

I am looking at getting new 8wt line for redfishing. I have really put my line through alot this summer in the short grass. I have used line cleaner and dressing, but you can really feel the difference in the line. You can feel the friction in the line as it goes through the eyes. Purchasing a new line these days can be quite the expense, so I need something that will hold up for a while and perform well. Any assistance with recommendations on this will be greatly appreciated.

John
Old 11-05-2009, 12:16 PM

I casted an Airflo ridge saltwater line this past summer and liked it even for just throwing bass poppers. I've heard good things about it from several people. They make it in a special taper for bone/redfish.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:49 PM

I fish airflo ridge lines in many line weights. they're the best lines I've ever used. they have a "5 year no-crack guarantee". I haven't owned one for 5 years yet, but my 5wt line is still in perfect condition after a year of heavy use and abuse. I have the 8wt bonefish line that Troutman's talking about. It has a taper which seems more suitable for long casts, which is not so great for what I use it for, but may be perfect for you....
Old 11-05-2009, 01:04 PM

Hey John I am also looking for a 8 weight line for Reds for a new setup I got, I was gonna say Sharkskin, I got it and love it, but maybe I'll try this Airflow, By the way hows the fishing in Beaufort right now? I am headed to IOP tonight for 2 days of fishing this weekend !!! Love it

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 11-06-2009, 12:14 PM

Barry,
The fishing for redfish has been pretty good on the low tides from a boat. It has been a little cold for high tide flats fishing. This is typically the best month for fishing for them from a boat though. Let me know if you get to head down this way and I will try to get you some more specific information, and if you need a fishing partner. The airflow does sound interesting, and the price is pretty reasonalble. I like what I hear about the sharkskin, but the price is steep and those reds can sometimes give you a pretty blistering run. I got a new rod that I am aching to try out. I picked up a custom built Z-axis on ebay for $395.00, it is a beaut, and I am hoping not to have to wait until next spring/summer to try it out. By the way did you see the picture of the bear I took on the straight fork? It is in the smokies posting area.
John
Old 11-21-2009, 05:19 PM

Airflo in the salt are great lines. If you're wanting a really good, quick loading redfish line, you can also take the standard bonefish taper and cut it back about a foot or so. Really loads close and turns over crazy big flies in the wind.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:05 PM

If you are wearing protection on your fingers, the sharkskin lines are freaking wild. High $$ but they are great. We use them around here for striper fishing and they are great. Just my thoughts.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:36 PM

james - can you be more specific about cutting the bonefish line back. do you mean just cutting one foot off the tip? I cannot see how this would affect the taper that much, as it seems to have a long belly.

I'm throwing big awkward (like 2/0 bunny strip clouser) flies at fairly close distances with this line, and it does not do so well. In fact, a 6wt trout taper throws the flies at closer distances much better than this 8wt bonefish. any change I can make on the taper would be much better than buying a new line....

Tags
fly line, redfish, spots