Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 11-22-2009, 11:52 AM

Well,my input on this will be shallow since I'm a newbie,but,I have a TFO Finesse and it's a good rod...for me,and one thing I've noticed already is something that was mentioned before,there's a good bit of filler in the cork handle,and it is coming out only after a few trips of fishing.Now,I have an old Wright & McGill fiberglass that I've used for about 45 years and it's had a good bit of abuse,the cork is as tight and full as ever.Small point but one that matters to me.
I've just bought a St. Croix Avid,and in the future would like to buy other USA made rods,like ones that have been mentioned here.At the end of the day,I will have only caught a few small trout with whatever rod I had,but dang it,I would rather do it with a rod that an American citizen made.
I guess I'm just one of that generation that hates to see "Made in China" on everything I pick up,not the mention the "Made in Vietnam" tag on something I saw the other day.
Old 11-22-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I believe I was told a TFO costs around $20 to make...
James, I believe that's what's commonly called "heresay", and pretty vague at that...

As to the ad copy, a bs alert may be appropriate.

However, since you are a Scott rep, how about telling us exactly what it actually costs to manufacture a Scott rod (and where the components come from).

Thanks,
Kent
Old 11-22-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
However, since you are a Scott rep, how about telling us exactly what it actually costs to manufacture a Scott rod (and where the components come from).
That would be interesting to read and know as well. Hopefully James will follow up and break down the costs and origin of components of a Scott rod for us.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:54 PM

Rebelsoul upon this post I have really come to notice alot of people mentioning the st. croix rods. I to like the made in the USA lable and for the price of their high end rods they are attainable. I do feel (only personal opinion) that for some of these nicer rod companies to compete, then there has to be a ceiling to the amount of money one can charge for a rod. Winston, Sage and Thomas and Thomas are all top notch rods but for a guy who fishes as many different situations as I do I can not afford 5 or 6 different high end rods. I do try to buy me one a year and this year looks alot like a z axis but after that I might stay with the st. croix. American made and affordable. Now that is just what I have learned from this post. I am not trying to leave scott rods out I just do not have any experience with them. This has been a very educational posting and I thank everyone for there imputs.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:26 PM

Two years ago I bought a TFO Finesse, 7'9" 4wt. In those two years, that rod has taken a good bit of abuse. I do a lot of fishing on high gradient streams so my rod gets banged around on boulders, tossed up to free up both hands for climbing and bent and banged while bushwacking. So far, so good.

I bought a TFO to begin with because I didn't want to invest in high end equipment while I was learning to fly fish. Didn't know at the time that the learning never stops but I can't think of a good reason at this point to invest in another rod. I've given a few rods a token swish or two at LRO but haven't been able to justify investing in one - I'm having too much fun with the one I have (cheap or not, foreign or not).

The only reason I can think of that I would want to buy another rod at this point is to go to another size and I haven't been able to justify that either. Bottom line is that my TFO is still probably a better rod than I am a fly fisherman so I reckon I'll hold onto my cheap Korean rod for a while longer. The two of us are still having too much fun to put it on the shelf at this point.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 11-22-2009, 11:16 PM

nvr2L8 that is a great testomony to your rod. I have nothing against the rods and hope that everyone understands that. Another great rod that gets looked over right now and I personally can not afford is the new orvis rods. Those helios are awesome but I can not afford one of them. But as I stated before this post really has me thinking about a st. croix rod. I might just have to go out and try one of the new ones out.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:36 PM

I wish someone would jump in here with some info on the sage flight series rods. I do not know anything about that rod but really like the price and the looks of the rods. I have the launch series in an 8 wt for bass and really seem to like it alot.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:48 AM

nvr2L8,
The 7'9" 4 wt. TFO Finessee is the one I have,and I'm not going to throw it out at all.Like you I am hard on rods because for one I'm clumsier than I used to be,and climbing around on rocks and logs and bushwhacking is way harder than it was when I was a young man.
After a fall in Cataloochee creek I was sure it was snapped but when I got up out of the chilly water it was good to go.
One of the main reasons I wanted a new rod was I wanted a 9' 5wt.
And the St. Croix fit the bill just right.
Rick
Old 11-23-2009, 12:33 PM

I can't speak for the new Flight rods but I have a 9' 4wt Sage Fli. I took it out West this fall and ended up using it over all the other rods my wife and I took (ECHO 2, Redington, TFO). I've considered myself a SAGE man since. Just got a 7wt Launch for bass fishing and I love the way they cast.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:02 PM

My favorite 12 wt is a St. Croix Avid, 9 Wt - TFO, 8 Wt - Scott, 7 Wt - TFO, 6 Wt - Winston, 5 Wt - Winston, 4 wt - Orvis and Walter Babb.

As you can see I am not biased toward any specific brand. I choose my rod based on how it casts for me or for personal reasons. I've been through and still own several 12 wt rods, most of them were expensive. I'll probably donate them to some non-profit fundraiser. But my 12 wt St. Croix Avid is not for sale. They don't make them anymore. My 8 wt Scott could not be bought. We've been through a lot together. They don't make it anymore. It is 10 years old or more. My Orvis Flea and Walter Babb rod will be mine until the last day. They could not be replaced.

Paula and I have and use often, 5 TFO Professional Series rods. They are inexpensive. We think they cast great. I don't notice the cork or components that come with a $140 rod. I have a hard enough time keeping an eye on my fly and the fish.

Most manufacturers make good rods. Every brand offers rods that cast well for me and others that don't. Some companies are good to work with if you are a dealer and I tend to like their tackle better. Some manufacturers give more back to the fly fishing community, support good causes and our resources. I tend to like their products better.

My advice is to cast them all and choose the rod that works best for you and fits your budget. I guess I'm not a person who cares what people think about the brand I am using. One exception would be my Chevy Truck which just turned over 112,000 miles. It's not for sale either.

Byron