Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 11-21-2009, 07:48 AM

Default My first trip to LRO

While I have been a member of this forum for quite some time and have purchased items online, I made my first trip to the store Friday morning. Was in the area overnight and not able to fish, but my wife and I made the drive from Gatlinburg to Townsend and made a quick visit. What an impressive store, would love to have something like that around the Louisville area.

Was able to meet Paula and Bill, Byron was busy working on the fishing reports so I didn't get to visit him, but will some day. Also purchased Jim Casada's book and it is a treat.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:47 AM

I have been in fly shops all over the US and I would have to rate LRO as number one.

Top priority for me in a fly shop is the friendliness of the staff. The few times I have been in the shop, they treated me like they had known me forever. I took my 9-year-old son in there earlier this year and they treated him like a king!

Second for me would be how helpful they are at putting you on good water. The first visit to the shop one of the employees pulled out a map, circled a few locations, then handed me the map. WOW!

Last is selection...nuff said!

Chris
Old 11-21-2009, 10:11 AM

I also like all the room the store has. It's not crowded and is well spaced. You can look at stuff and not be bumping elbows with someone else. It is definately a well knowledgeable staff on hand. Definately two thumbs up!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVBrookie View Post
I have been in fly shops all over the US and I would have to rate LRO as number one.

Top priority for me in a fly shop is the friendliness of the staff. The few times I have been in the shop, they treated me like they had known me forever. I took my 9-year-old son in there earlier this year and they treated him like a king!

Second for me would be how helpful they are at putting you on good water. The first visit to the shop one of the employees pulled out a map, circled a few locations, then handed me the map. WOW!

Last is selection...nuff said!

Chris
Chris,
I have to agree with you regarding how fly shops treat my son. The folks at LRO have always treated Daniel (my son) with the same level of attention, friendliness and courtesy as they treat the adults. They have never looked down at him or answered his questions like he was "a kid" and that impresses me.

I haven't been in shops all over the country but have been in a lot of shops in Wyoming, Montana, Oregon, Tennessee (LRO), and Ohio and I do rate LRO tops among the ones I've shopped.

Nothing aggrevates me more than when a shop is rude to my son or treats him like he's bothering them. (he's 14 now but we've been fly fishing together since he was about 9).

It seems like such a simple thing. When a parent brings a their child into the fly shop it probably means they have a pretty good parent/child relationship and that parent thinks highly enough of the child to take them fishing and in the case of a teenager, the kid has a good enough relationship with the parent that they still go fishing together. It just seems like smart business to treat the child well because 1) the parent isn't going to be impressed if you ignore or are mean to the child, and 2) that child is going to be a customer for a lot longer time than the parent will.

Anyway, Paula, Byron, Daniel and the rest of the group, you all run a tight ship.

Jeff
Old 11-21-2009, 02:26 PM

I must agree with comments on the LRO staff and store. Even though you go in a "rookie" they all take time out of their day to help even the least experienced(like my son and I). The last time in, Bill took time with my son Ben, he's 13, and told him the reasons behind the fly selection he had picked out for us to use. Not many stores would do this kind of service, even for the experienced angler. Being a owner of a retail store(grocery) great help is hard to find. LRO will always be our first stop on any trip out to the smoky mountains. flyguys
Old 11-21-2009, 04:08 PM

Tim,
You met the best part of the group. Bill and Daniel are friendly, sharp and know their stuff, Paula is the good looking one. I think they keep Byron just for PR Honestly they are some of the nicest people you could ever want to meet. They even treated me well, even though I scare small children and most women
Old 11-22-2009, 11:03 AM

I was in the shop for the first time in Sept.,and met Ted,who waited on me,I am glad that I got to meet him before he passed away,he treated me well and took the time to hi-lite some areas to fish on a park map.

It's probably a good thing for me in a way that I don't live close to the shop....I would spend way too much money,but I'm sure the fine folks there wouldn't complain.
I would more than likely hang out there just to learn more about fly fishing,and if I make it to retirement in a few years I plan on taking some courses in fly tying.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:57 AM

Rebelsoul, Retirement in smokies, now your talking my kind of talk! That would be amazing. I too, would spend way too much money on flyfishing equipment(according to my wife). I wonder....... how many flies could I buy if I sold my boat?
Old 11-23-2009, 12:24 PM

without a doubt LRO is the friendliest/most helpful fly shop I've ever visited. I've probably been to at least 20 over the years in Montana, Wyoming, Florida, and SC. Cumberland Transit in Nashville is really great too.