Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 11-24-2009, 02:56 PM

BlueRaiderFan, You are absolutely correct: No bad days on the river.

Since you mentioned getting skunked, I have a fear, especially this time of year, of getting skunked. Not that there is anything wrong with getting skunked, but it has been so long since I was skunked that I want to see how long I can keep the streak going. I do not count my fish, but, I am relieved when I catch that first one; then I quit counting. I guess this is kind of crazy.

Question! Have you fished Betty's lately? Last time down there I missed a couple of big browns on streamers and have been wanting to get back there. I have been wondering how the river is that far down. Most reports I read are closer to the dam.

Regards,
William
Old 11-24-2009, 07:10 PM

william i fish the caney regularly when its not under generation ...bettys island has been slow fishing all this year as well as kirby which is down river from bettys.....if i was you and was wadeing i would fish happy hollow or at the dam below the steps....down riverfrom the steps is all wadeable for almost a mile to just before lancaster.....do not be afraid to fish the shallow water next to shore,,,,,,,, i will be fishing the caney wed thur sat and sun weather and generation permitting if you are planning on heading there any of those days send me an email and let me know
dan
Old 11-24-2009, 07:49 PM

Fishingman, gives a report of your trips. From the rivergages site, it looks like the temps down to Stonewall are dropping. I would think the fishing would be picking up down there. Look forward to what you have to say, particulary about any surface activity. Good luck, Silvercreek
Old 11-24-2009, 09:18 PM

silvercreek i very very rarley fish drys on the caney the hatches are so small i would quess you would need a #28 to match the little white or the little black bugs that come off...i have caught a few larger browns using a tan caddis or parchute adams as an indicator with a midge or pheaseant tail dropped below it.... we usally fish soft hackles in a size 16 or smaller ...... stripping it back as you would a streamer ....last year olive buggers were deadly but this year the fish just wern't on them.... i wii post how we do wed ... but my buddies floated this past sat and sun with only 4 fish being caught in 2 days ...they threw everything from midges to streamers at them ... hopefully the fish will be better adjusted to the lower flow and will turn on for us... i firmly belive that when generations are high for long periods of time then dropped back the fish need time to readjust their feeding patterns ...
dan
Old 11-25-2009, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm1miller View Post
BlueRaiderFan, You are absolutely correct: No bad days on the river.

Since you mentioned getting skunked, I have a fear, especially this time of year, of getting skunked. Not that there is anything wrong with getting skunked, but it has been so long since I was skunked that I want to see how long I can keep the streak going. I do not count my fish, but, I am relieved when I catch that first one; then I quit counting. I guess this is kind of crazy.

Question! Have you fished Betty's lately? Last time down there I missed a couple of big browns on streamers and have been wanting to get back there. I have been wondering how the river is that far down. Most reports I read are closer to the dam.

Regards,
William
William,

I have fished Betty's a few weeks ago and there was very little activity. There are some active large browns by the island, but you had better cast from far away and sneak up on them when you first get there and I mean from the road. I saw a LOT more activity down at Lancaster. I got a very bad report the other day up by the dam. I think all the generation has pushed them a bit farther down the road to Lancaster (but not as far as Bettys), but don't have enough evidence to say for certain. My boss says he does well on olive or chartruese buggers this time of year. I still can manage a strike on an orange neversink, but dries are very rarely risen to right now. Let me know how you do.

Dwayne
Old 11-25-2009, 12:43 AM

Just looked back over the posts. I heard the same thing the other day from a friend: Nothing biting for anyone.
Old 11-25-2009, 09:35 AM

Fishingman, I just figure if the trout are feeding on the surface, then I ought to be able to catch them there. I can do ok with the emerging midge pattern I have, but I sure did not have anything to match that little fly I saw Monday. Hopefully I've got that covered with a new fly. Try a peacock and black bugger. Just spread some head cement on the hook shank and let it get tacky before you wind the peacock herl up the shank. It always has been the best bugger patttern for me in the past. Peacock herl for the body of a wet fly works well too. Something about peacock the fish love. Good fishing Silvercreek