Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 08-09-2009, 06:37 PM

Default Fishing in Michigan

Just got back from our family vacation in and around Traverse City, MI. I was able to get on the Manistee three times and the Boardman once in the week we were in Michigan. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of fish that I caught. The fishing was great, but nothing big. Caught a couple of Brookies, but mostly browns. The fish started rising around 9am and finished around noon. There were plenty of tricos in the morning, but I was only successful with an Adams. Nymph fishing was not productive at all. You are only allowed to keep two trout on the Manistee in the blue ribbon section and the Brook trout have to be 10 inches and all others 15 inches. I tried my hand at using a mouse on the Boardman at night and got one to make a big splash at it, but was not able to hook the fish. Fishing at night on the Boardman is tricky business with all of the sunken trees and sediment banks. If you haven't been to this area, you are missing a great area to fish. I have been here in June when the big Hex hatch is going on in the evening and that is when you catch the big guys.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:41 PM

Default Northern Michigan

With you there on Northern Michigan. Beautiful area.... and great fishing. We spent a week up there last summer, unfortunately the week following the big flood. Did manage to fish the Big Manistee with Schmidt outfitters later in the week, had 5 or 6 monster browns come for my streamers. Had one literally gray hound out of the water with my streamer hanging in his jaw, but I could not get the line tight (he was coming left and at us when he jumped), never even felt the pull, but what a rush! I managed to land one brown, that day on a T&A Rainbow I think, might have been a black Fat Head. Here is a pic anyway. Northern MI is a near second to Montana in my opinion.

We stayed at the Portage Point Inn in Onekama (O-neck-uh-muh!) Beautiful! Really liked the little port town of Frankfort as well.

Wish I were headed that way in October for the Salmon and Steelhead as well.
Best,
John
Old 09-29-2009, 08:44 AM

You guys need to get back up for the salmon and steelhead runs. Great Fun!
Old 11-17-2009, 11:23 PM

Next time you're in the great state of Michigan, make sure you fish the Pere Marquette and Au Sable rivers. The Pere Marquette is mostly known for fall/winter salmon/steelhead but the trout fishing is excellent as well and the Au Sable is awesome.

Pat
Old 11-18-2009, 11:00 AM

Northern Michigan....great times. We stayed in a cabin on the Au Sable for a week this summer. Unbelievable. We floated the Au Sable everyday, and also made it over to the Manistee for some more great dry fly action. I wrote a report about it on my site. I had such a hard time coming home from there! We will be going back this summer, without question.

Buzz'd Fly Fishing
Old 12-04-2009, 05:25 PM

The UP is very nice
Old 12-07-2009, 08:31 PM

The Fox River is a great little stream for native brookies in the UP. Fished there a little over 30 year ago on a couple of family vacations. The mosquitoes were vicious though, but it was worth it.