Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 10-28-2009, 08:57 PM

Default Tuck

Never fished the tuckasegee but wanting to get up there and drift soon. Just wandering if anyone had any recent info on the fishing. What to use and the like. Also how is the float? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:53 AM

Highstick--The word Tuckasegee, which is Cherokee, roughly translates as "moves slowly, like a mud turtle." There's your sign on flow. As for the fishing, dough bellies aren't my cup of tea, but I gather it's typical delayed harvest water although a bigger stream than most in the program. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 10-29-2009, 07:39 PM

Well i have fished it a ton and one thing you gotta know is when there has been much of any rain the river looks like a milky cup of coffee. And for a while too, went by it a bunch of different spots today, not fishin just in the area, and it is muddy as heck. To much construction. as much as my pal Mr Casada will shake his head at this, I stuck a handful of monsters on the trophy section including one of those white yellar albino golden whatever you call em trout, only had an hour before class to fish so, what the heck.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 12-14-2009, 11:51 PM

Default Fishing the Tuck

I bought a book a couple of years ago for the Tuck called "The Definitive Guide to the Tuckaseegee Delayed Harvest Dillsboro/Silva, North Carolina. Still have not made it over there but the book is a good one. I downloaded it off the web, 45 pages with lots of color pics.
Patrick Mawhinney 2007. georgiafishingbooks.com
You might try RandRFlyfishing.com. They fish the Tuck quite a bit, usually some good info there. Another would be flyfishingwnc.com; Gordon Vanderpool is a guide out of Franklin, very good guy as well.
Best,
John
Old 12-15-2009, 08:54 AM

one really nice thing bout the tuck is it is a really easily accessed river, so you don't have to drift it, you can cover a ton of water without the hassle of floating it, some really productive water is within a stones throw to the truck, I think that they have been running a good bit of water recently. If you hit this link http://www.duke-energy.com/lakes/nan...w-releases.asp

and then click scheduled flow releases it will tell you bout the water release. remember it is feed from an east and west branch with 2 dams, I remeber it this way "the east is the beast" ie..the east fork is the larger of the 2, so when the east and west are flowin forget wading, east only bring some lead and staff & be careful, best for wading is west fork only so it aint as Mr Casada says a "mud turtle" The black caddis hatch in the early fall can be awesome, and there have been days when every pattern in the box has worn em out. Can be a ball of fire. i go by there on the way to grad school weekly so hit me up if ya ever wanna know what it looks like.

Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"