Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 12-16-2009, 12:35 PM

Default Map

Is there anywhere to get a map on the Townsend side of the park? One of the free ones.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:49 PM

Last fall at the store, Daniel pulled out one of the free maps to show me something....maybe they have a few behind the counter??

You should just buy one of the Trails Illustrated maps and throw it in your glove box. They are nicer maps anyway. I need to buy a new one.....I recently noticed that my version is metric .
Old 12-16-2009, 01:11 PM

BlueRaiderFan--If you mean the Park trails and backcountry campsite map, you can download and print it from the Park's web site. It is also in my book (I believe you said you are getting it for your birthday) in a folded, removable form. It's also available at the Sugarlands Visitor Center, although I'm not sure whether or not it is free.
Going a bit farther though, I'd recommend that anyone who plans to spend much time in the backcountry either get one of those GPS-type gizmos (tells you I kon't know much about them, but I've seen my brother punch buttons and tell us exactly where we were, how long we had to go before getting a campsite, etc.) or else do it the old-fashioned way I do; namely, obtain a complete set of the USGS topo maps covering the Park. You'll need 40 or so of them but it is an investment which has repaid me many times over. Incidentally, I list the relevant topo maps for each stream covered in my book at the beginning of the chapter on that creek.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 12-16-2009, 01:32 PM

Thanks guys. I generally just stick by the river and go out the way I came in. Don't really go far from the trail unless I'm right by the river, at least so far. I need to stop in for a few flies anyway, so maybe I'll pick up one of the fancy maps from LRO
Old 12-16-2009, 01:59 PM

BRF, I don't want to discourage the sale of the Trails Illustrated map. I have one myself. But you could do some print screens of these freebies.

These are larger scale than the TI map, so they don't include some information such as downtown Maryville.

2/15 Update: Deleted map links previously posted.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 02-15-2012 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: To help protect the wellbeing of the waters, etc.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:06 PM

BlueRaiderFan--Two thoughts. I would encourage you to wander, because the more you do the greater will be your sense of wonder. Also, and I'm ashamed I didn't think about it in my first post, Fred Turner (JoeFred on this forum) is doing some grand things with maps. You definitely ought to check out his website.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 12-16-2009, 09:43 PM

Jim, there's absolutely no reason to feel ashamed. Thanks for all your support and insightful suggestions. I feel honored getting to reference your great book on my fledgling site.

JoeFred
Old 12-16-2009, 09:53 PM

Joe and Mr. Casada, thanks for all the help. I will definitely want a topo map at some point. I'm very good at map reading and got to lead some battalion level movements a couple of times in the Army...talk about pressure. Thanks again for everything. Dwayne

Oh, Mr. Casada, as far as marketing, you should definitely get a page up on Facebook and find as many friends tied into fly fishing on there as possible. LRO has a page and I have a couple:

http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?r...id=22127975337

http://www.facebook.com/groups.php?i...id=49167544511
Old 12-17-2009, 08:44 AM

Thumbs up

BlueRaiderFan, thank you for your service. You and others in the military help ensure our freedom to fish and our other precious liberties.

JF
Old 12-17-2009, 10:26 AM

Ah, don't thank me. I have to remember to quit telling Army stories. Everybody keeps thanking me The guys over there now are the real heros.