Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 12-14-2009, 11:13 AM

Speck Lover--First of all, as someone who is too "sot in his ways" to ever call those jewels of the Smokies brook trout (for me, like you, they are specks, or speckled trout, or natives, or best of all, mountain trout), I love your "handle." Beyond that, welcome, and it sounds like your roots run, as do mine, deep in the mountain soil. I see below that Old Tom has mentioned Lance Holland's book. While not a native of the region, Lance researched quite deeply, worked at Fontana Village for a number of years, and still lives on nearby Panther Creek. If you are deeply interested in the subject, there are two earlier books of note as well. One is "The Village of Five Lives" (that's close if not the exact title) and the second is the massive TVA final report, "The Fontana Project." It runs to many hundreds of pages and is chock full of intriguing information although it is anything but gripping reading.
I look forward to your posts and insights.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 12-14-2009, 04:33 PM

Mr. Casada,

Thank you very much for the Fontana book information. I actually had the pleasure of meeting you a few years back at the Fly Fishing Show in Charlotte. I purchased a a hardback copy of Jim Gasque's Hunting and Fishing in the Great Smokies from you at the show. I have always admired your work and consider you a treasure to the folks of our region and beyond. As for my roots running deep in the mountain soil, my family roots first take root in the southern Appalachians around 1800. Thank you for the warm welcome and Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you and your family.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:53 PM

Thanks for all the info on Fontana Dam, I look forward to getting all the books each of you have listed. I can't wait to get back to Hazel Creek, I love to camp and fish there, but man the ferry ride is really expensive...
Old 12-17-2009, 05:35 PM

Welcome, Speck Lover. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:12 PM

welcome,and Merry Christmas!! Get ready to soak up a load of advise from the people on this forum! I'm sure you'll love your time spent here! flyguys