Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 12-23-2009, 12:10 PM

Default Brook trout and bigger rainbows for the Cumberland

KDFWR is going to begin stocking a sterile breed of rainbow that could grow to bigger sizes. This is set to begin in 2011. They are also going to stock the same strain of brook trout that Arkansas uses in their tailwaters. The next few years could be exciting.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:30 PM

I sure hope that 2010 is better. We've had so much rain this year on the Cumberland, it seems like everytime we wanted to fish the tailwater, they were releasing 20K to 30K of water and the river was not wadeable. I heard it was even scary in a drift boat.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:08 PM

Default reply

the cumberland was hades to fish in 2009--i have a gheenoe and it was not boat enough for the current of the river--once the river actually got over the parking lot at helms-if the current is plainly visible then its really rolling and more than a little dangerous,but even on days when the river was up and rolling i still caught fish,but thats the cumberland for you,its a fishery to really love if you fly fish--is the hatchery going to release golden trout??The fishing should get better and better what with the brook trout and feedlot rainbows(saw one of those things in montana that weighed 28lbs caught out of flathead lake)I generally go to the river most every sunday,launch my boat for better or worse--this year it has been mostly for the worst because of the flow from beneath the dam.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:02 PM

Yes, I know. We're heading to the Cumberland tomorrow, Dec. 30th, to try our hand, but I'm not optimistic. Latest release for Wolfe Creek shows 21K and it looks to remain at that level. If we're blown out, might try the tailwater of Dale Hollow
Old 12-31-2009, 10:48 AM

Default kytroutbum

are the dale hollow tail waters good fishing??
Old 01-03-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauxier View Post
are the dale hollow tail waters good fishing??
I haven't fished Dale Hollow in a long time, so I can't really answer your question. On Dec. 30 & 31, we were at the Cumberland tailwater. At that time the Dam was releasing 21K of water, and the water level was at the gravel road at Helm's Landing, and the current was very swift. Didn't see anyone shore fishing or drifting. I imagine Rock House and Winfrey's ferry was also blown out.

We did fish Hatchery Creek, and caught 5 small stocked rainbows on BH Princes, and BH Pheasant Tails. The fish were deep with very few rises. A Griffiths Knat, and BWO's duns were ignored. Air Temp was about 23 deg. F. with sunshine. Needless to say, my rod guides kept icing over, time to dunk the rod into the water to de-ice!