Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-01-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelsoul View Post
I caught an eel in Turnbull Creek,at first I thought it was a snake but it wasn't.My grandfather was with me and said he knew they were in there but hadn't seen one in a long time.
Come to think of it I have never looked up anything on freshwater eels...might be interesting.

*edited to add*...after taking a few minutes to search for eels,I don't think that's what it was,it's been so long ago would anyone know what it could have been.I'm thinking "eel" was just a country name for it,after all,some of the oldtimers around here called blue tail lizards "scorpions".
from my very limited experience, could've been a siren or maybe even an amphiuma, a very eel-like salamander often called a conger eel. both siren and amphiumas have small, very small legs and at a quick glance, strongly resemble eels. not sure if either occupies that creek but worth looking into at least..
Old 01-01-2010, 02:36 AM

Default a quack attack

strangest catch ever: parents and i were fishing rocky ford creek in central washington. across this semi-desert oasis is a narrow, one person bridge one can easily fish from. and i was. and then...3 mergansers came flying by...under the bridge...and I felt the familiar nudge of a strike...set the hook and started reeling. then while i was letting line go, i noticed a commotion several yards away in the general direction of my fly and supposed fish...dad caught a glimpse of my line (he was down stream) and said i had foul-hooked it...the it being a merganser. now i always watch out for ducks when fishing a bridge..
Old 01-01-2010, 09:05 AM

Last edited by Randy Ratliff; 01-27-2012 at 09:52 AM..
Old 01-05-2010, 05:59 PM

Not quite the strangest thing I have caught, but here goes. In the late 1990's the first time I was stationed at Parris Island, I was bass fishing with by fishing partner. I had just stepped down off of the front casting deck to change a lure, when my buddy hauled back to make a cast from the back casting deck..

He ended up knocking me down, I lost my prescription sun glasses into the river along with my hat. He had a nice fat Norman plug on and he really nailed me. the back treble hook scraped up the underside of my jaw, bounced off of my jaw bone taking out two chunks, and burried itself in my cheek, two of the hooks of the trebble hook burried to the bend.

I had him cut the two hooks, then I made him push each hook back through my cheek. These hooks were barbed and it is really quite amazing how much pressure you have to put on them the get them through skin.....anyway it took him about 45 minutes to get them both pushed through. After they were out, I was good to go and started to fish again. My buddy however was as green as could be and had to sit in the back for a good hour before he was able to stand up without getting sick. My wife still gives him a hard time about the big one he hooked!

Ok, remembering this story has caused me to remember my two other getting hooked stories....The first was in the early 80's when I was visiting my uncle in LA. We were out bass fishing all day. We got back to the landing, got loaded up, and then saw some really big crappie busting on the other side of this creek that wasn't too wide. We decided to give it a shot. After about an hour it was time to go....I bent down to pick up a couple of rods, and my uncle slapped me as hard as he could across the back of the neck with his fishing rod....

This is what it felt like to me at least when I straightened up and asked him what the **** he had hit me for. It was then that I noticed the mouth hanging upen and green shade to his face....he had gotten an rooster tail spinner caught on a bush across the creek, and when he jerked to yank it out, it came out of the bush and nailed me in the back of the neck. One of the trebble hook points had burried itself into the back of my neck.

He tried for about an hour to remove it with pliers with no success, so he took me to a doc in a box. The doctor wrapped some wire around the hook and pulled as hard as he could, and the wire broke. This repeated itself two additional times with bigger wire each time. At this point my 13-year old self let the doctor know in no uncertain terms that we would no longer be doing it his way. I explained to the doctor where the barb was on the hook, had him pull on the hook with a decent amount of pressure, and use a scalple to cut right where the bulg of the barb was, and out popped the hook.

Well this post is long enough, I will save the third time for another post.

John
Old 01-05-2010, 11:16 PM

My dad hooked me as a boy. He cut it out with a knife. I still swear he enjoyed it. Probably could have just pulled it out, but wanted to see the carnage. Mean old son of a...
Old 01-06-2010, 12:18 AM

The strangest thing I have ever caught came just last week on tues. the 29th. I was fishing Trammel creek in Ky and fishing streamers deep. I started stripping it back and felt an abrupt stop and set the hook hard thinking it was a big brown. Unfortunately there was no fighting on the the other end. I started trying to pull the line in and got nothing so thinking i was hung on a log i pointed my rod straight down the line and started walking backwards to break my tippet when i noticed a small rope moving a little. I followed the rope up to a small piece of drift wood then walked up to it and peered into the water and found a big fish trap about the size of 55 gallon drum. I pulled the trap in and got my fly loose. it had a small 9-10 inch carp in it, and from the fresh bait had just recently been placed. I threw the trap back in the water and continued my day of fishing. The next morning i called it in to the game warden and then on thurs. meet him at the stream and began our long hike to the trap. He inspected it, took pics of it and threw it back. We scoped the area out and found a good spot of him to come back and set up his camera to catch the bastard, and I hope he does. One thing i hate the most are poachers. How lazy can you be that you can't go out and atleast chunk bait with a rod, you have to set up an illegal trap and take way more than your share of the fish, trout, bass, cats, carp, whatever it is your after. I just hope they catch the jackass.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:58 PM

Default Blue Jay

Once at dusk caught a Blue Jay on a backcast; was he upset. Took a while to untangle leader without hooking myself or bird. Stayed around to yell at me for a while after release. Caught sea turtle and eel bait fishing in FL, and a gar on a flyrod. Watson
Old 01-09-2010, 11:17 AM

i caught a muskrat once on a doughball and a lamprey on a grub. Ive also caught crappie with lampreys attached. Also found a dead freshwater eel onetime at ft loudoun dam
Old 01-11-2010, 01:33 PM

i thought I had nothing really exciting to share, until this memory came back!

I caught a bullfrog tadpole on a tamdem spinner bait! No joke. I was at my wife's uncle's horse pond, hoping there'd be something in there. Well there was something in there...tadpoles! The meanest tadpoles in the world. And it gets weirder. I decided to cast back out with the tadpole on and the extra weight messed up my accuracy, so there is a spinner bait with a tadpole mummy hanging over that pond!