Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-10-2010, 10:10 PM

Default FlyFishing the Smokies

Hi all, I'm attempting to take advantage of the cold weather and put the fishing down time to good use. I started fly fishing about 4 years ago and let the fustration of fishing the Smokies get me. After a few years of being out, I've been rebitten by the fly fishing bug and want to get familiar with fishing the park.

My first question involves hatches and how they relate to fly selection. Specifically, what are the common hatches that occur in the park in March, April, May and what are the main flies used during that time? I have started tying again and want to use this time to improve my skills and tie a supply of flies that will be useful.

Second, the few times that I did fish the park it seemed that I had been told that nymphs were fished with more success than dry flies ... in general. Just wondering if anyone else felt this way.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:22 PM

You might check out Roger Lowe's book and flip book in the online store. They might have exactly the information you are looking for in regard to hatches and fly patterns.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:23 AM

Yea Rogers hatch guide is good, and it is small enough to fit in your pack or vest. I live over here in NC and Roger taught me how to tie, he knows his stuff.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 PM

that's what I love about fishing the park. you can read all the books you can buy, go out and throw a fly that wasn't mentioned in any of those books and catch more fish. there are so many variables in fishing the park it's hard to give a definitive answer to the "what fly" question. for me this summer was extremely productive with a parachute hopper. and nymph fishing seemed like a waste of time, althouth there was almost always a nymph dropped off my hopper or caddis. My all around favorite dry is a yellow elk hair caddis though. it's STILL catching fish in January. I'm restocking my boxes with caddis variants and pheasant tail nymphs.
Old 01-17-2010, 04:52 PM

May I recommend "A Smoky Mountains & Southern Applachians Fly Hatch Schedule," Produced by Ken Snelling; Critical Acknowledgement by David Etnier, Ph. D., Prof. of Zoology, The University of Tennessee? Published by Graphic Spirit, 1994. I find it very detailed as to the seasons, time of day of the hatch and flies to imitate the natural insects. Good fishing!
Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 PM

Caddis fly--In the Park, as is true almost anywhere trout are found, nymphs will be more productive than dry flies overall. Why? Something like 75-80 percent of the trout's diet is consumed beneath the surface. That fact of the trout's world being duly recognized, nothing quite matches the thrill of a big brown sipping a dry fly or the sight of fish feeding all over a big pool at dusk. Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 01-17-2010, 10:34 PM

Hugh Hartsell has a hatch chart available online that gives several good flies for each month of the year. It would be a VERY good idea to stop by LRO and pick up a few flies that they suggest as well.