Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-20-2010, 01:33 PM

Default flies for spring

This year I would like to tie up a bunch of flies and use them on Spring Break. If I were to focus on a couple of patterns to tie.....what would you tie? I need flies for a week in March and maybe a summer vacation. Can someon also help me with the ingredients lists.
I'm thinking a couple dry patterns, nymphs, and wets.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:15 PM

I have come to love the zebra midge for the park and tailwaters. I tie mostly black. I also like the neversink. I tie it in orange, yellow and green foam. I have been thinking of stocking up on Stimies and Adam's for dries too and I also tie a few BHPTN for the park in addition to the midges. Oops sorry, I see I already replied to this in another folder.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:40 PM

I do well in the spring with attractor pattern dries (I prefer yellow stimulators), small stonefly nymphs, & Isonychia nymphs.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:54 PM

that's alright blueraiderfan, I reworded my question and posted it here! It seems more people read this folder....and i wanted a few more replies!
Old 01-20-2010, 03:41 PM

Did you get a chance to look at Hugh Hartsell's hatch charts?
Old 01-20-2010, 03:50 PM

yes I did. I spent awhile today reading. I'm in an area with very little fly tying supplies available. And on his site he had flies, flies and more flies! There were way more patterns than I could ever hope to learn or buy stuff for. I was hoping for a "basics" list for the beginner fly tier.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:15 PM

Ahhhhh....Well I think the Adams and Neversinks are easy dries. You may want to skip the Stimi's for now. The Zebra MIdge is super easy and a great dropper. The BHPTN isn't too bad. BWO's aren't too bad. Lt. Cahill's are ok. Most emerger patterns are easy. The isonychia nymph that Mr. Hartsell ties is a doozy, so skip that for a bit. You should buy some 1/2 saddles in Grizzly, Brown, Dunn and Black. Some tungsten (or similar colored) bead heads for size 16,18, and 20 and the same size nymph hooks. Some dry hooks in 12,14, and 16. 6/0 and 8/0 thread in black, green, yellow, red, brown, and orange. Some peacock hurl and some Zap a Gap (skip the head cement and use the zap a gap). That should get you started good. LRO has free shipping BTW, so call them and put in an order, or just use their online catalog. Tight Lines.

Dwayne

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 01-21-2010 at 10:21 AM..
Old 01-20-2010, 05:19 PM

Oh and some assorted dubbing. Looking back on the title, the BWO's and Lt Cahill's would not do well in the Spring. Stick with the others.

Last edited by BlueRaiderFan; 01-20-2010 at 10:05 PM..
Old 01-21-2010, 08:26 AM

BWOs #16-#18, Quill Gordon #12, Para Adams#12-#16, yella stimi #12-#14, Thunderhead #14, Royal Wulff #14.

Olive GRHE #12-#16, Prince #12-#14.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:41 AM

Ah-ha, that's what I'm looking for!! yes, I can use this. I tied up a couple flies last night mostly because my 5yo wanted me to. For awhile I just sat there wondering what I was missing and what I should tie....so now I can make a shopping list and have some direction!