Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 01-05-2010, 09:17 PM

Default St. Augustine FL...

So it looks as though I'll be spending the first week in April with the family in St. Augustine, and I'm hoping to wet a line somewhere salty either in the surf or back bay ( I bet they'll frown upon ripping a streamer through the World Golf resorts ponds on the back nine
Though I plan on sifting through as much internet info about the area, just wanted to see if anyone had any experiences chasing fins there and care to help localize my search. Thanks for any input...
Old 01-20-2010, 12:11 PM

Default St. Augustine

Spent the week before T-Giving in St Aug and fished the area around there. Best fishing was in a backwater in a State Park that was very user friendly. Fly fishing was OK, and people I was with threw bait and lures. Together we caught 14 species of everything from a few keeper sea trout to a sea turtle and a shark. Blues hit fly, as did a flounder. Took one red, but on bait. This trip was in lieu of usual OBX trip that was teats up when storms camped there for a few days thru five or so high tides. Warmer in FL, thinking abt permanent substitute for OBX. Skip W.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:24 AM

Hey Skip,
Thanks for the reply...yeah I noticed an Anastasia State Park and what they call the Salt Run which seems to be a wadeable and supposedly pompano in the surf...I'll give it a whirl and maybe check out the area piers....
Old 01-24-2010, 08:42 PM

Lived in St Augustine and Jacksonville for 25 plus years. Most of the water is not wadeable. It is muck and you will sink up to your waist in some areas. You are ok to walk above the general water line but I would highly advise against trying to wade. Even in areas that are ok you will eventually hit the muck.
There are a lot of areas to fish around there but most are not walking angler friendly. If you want to expierence what the area has to offer I would suggest a guide for the day. Tommy Derringer, http://www.inshoreadventures.net/captaintommy.html, is a great guide. He is a full time guide and is always on the water. He is also a very good fly fisherman and good at guiding people who want to fly fish. I would highly recommend giving him a call. Also practice some double hauls and really shooting your line out if you are not already good at it. Nothing like seeing skitish 30" redfish that you can not hit with a cast. Feel free to email me dseanabbey@hotmail.com about any and all questions I will be glad to assist.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:47 AM

Hey Flat,

Thanks for the reply...oh yeh,had some unwanted experience with the muck monster when crabbin' in tidal creeks with my outlaws in Beaufort,SC...I left a shoe about 4ft deep in some no name back water...
Would be nice to do the guide thing, but being a family vacation money hasta go to the overall activity budge if ya know what I mean - I though about getting a cheap inflatable kayak and dink around some in fishy spots...double hauln' not an issue - comes in handy on tailwaters - but may have to practice it seated at water level for the kayak thing but I'll definately give you a shout before I head down to get some lowdown. Apprectiate your willing to assist....
Old 01-31-2010, 03:14 PM

Default St. Aug

W-borne: Flat is right, mostly, abt the muck. Was awful in the St. ? behind the condo, but not in the Park and in Salt Run. Wading and catching there is not easy, but was able to hook a few, which beats thinking about it. More the tidal movement, less the muck. Watson