Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 02-01-2010, 11:24 AM

Well seeing as how the topic opened up a bit, I hate scary movies as well except really awful B horror films that my Dad and I have been caught watching late into the night, I detest the french paris was one of the worst places I have been to and don't get me talking about their govt and policies they should thank us that they aren't speaking german, instead we can't fly over there borders? I would have to throw "political opinions or views" that are baseless, voters who vote the way their daddy did 50 years ago just cause? Also living in an area that does not have the same reverence for our troops as my home state of South Carolina, or Tennessee.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 02-01-2010, 12:30 PM

Default Karma

I know that this is going to sound stupid (because it is), but when I first get to a stream or river, I feel like if my karma isn't right, I'm not going to get a bite. While this doesn't happen to me to often, it does occur. There, I said it!

Old 02-01-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergal View Post
One of my fishing quirks is talking to a wiggly fish while trying to remove the hook. I usually say " Hold still !"
I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this. I find when I'm fishing on my own (and have no one else to talk to), I talk to the fish that I catch way too much. "hold still" and "cut that out" are usually the first two comments and then if I'm going to try and take a picture I try to smooth talk it into being calm while I retrieve the camera and a snap a shot or two.

This year, I caught a beautiful cutthroat in Colorado that inhaled a Husky xCaddis way too deep and I tried briefly to disgorge the hook before I realized that there was no way the hook was going to come out without doing more severe damage. So I clipped the tippet as close to the hook as I could. I looked at the stunned fish sitting very still in a small pool for what seemed like 10 minutes (although I'm sure it was nowhere near that long) and kept apologizing to it and telling it that it had so much to live for (in the beautiful mountain setting that it was in, and all), before it finally turned away from me and sped off to a deep crevice in the center of the stream. I think if anyone would have come up upon me during that time, and only heard me talking (since the fish was not saying anything...) they would have been convinced that I was trying to talk myself out of committing suicide...

Oh, I never take a net as well...that's asking for failure. Of course, I've never caught anything bigger than 14-16 inches and its usually in areas the size of a bathtub so its never been an issue...

Just for the record, mimes give me the creeps...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 02-02-2010, 01:38 PM

Ok, since everyone else has led the way, here are some of my quirks.... I often lay awake at night thinking of fly fishing, with the number of times dependent proportionately to how long it has been. This sounds incredibly corny, but I actually pine for fly fishing in the mountains when it has been too long. I will sometimes stay up as long as I can the night before fishing, because I figure the later it is the quicker fishing hours will come when I wake up.

Having said that let me say a little about the French.....I cannot stand the French. The thing that drives me crazy though is how people do not seem to realize the following:

We would have never ended up back in Iraq if it were not for the French, Germans, and Russians ensuring Saddam that they would not let anything past the Security Committee, and telling him that we wouldn't do anything unilaterally. You ask how I know this, here are the facts. Saddam had played this kind of game numerous times in the past, always taking it right up to the point where action would have been taken prior to backing down. Each time he did this he got more concessions. This plan had worked for him again and again. He got wasta from the reast of the middle east, while gaining concessions with little to no risk for himself. Say what you will about him, he new how to manipulate the system and the international community and press to get what he wanted. Why did we suprise him, and we did suprise him. How else did we catch him hiding in a hole? We suprised him becasue the French, Russians, and Germans assured him that he had nothing to worry about and that they would not let anything past the security council.

Now why would the French, Germans and Russians do this? The truth is they were making money hand over fist on the oil for food program. Add this to the fact that the French lost more money than I could imagine following the first gulf war (because they were the ones selling Saddam all of the anti-air defense missiles and bomb proof bunkers and hangers). I spoke to a district attourney for a western state, and he told me flat out that there was enough information and evidence to indict more than a few of the Frech Presidents cabinet over the oil for food program, but the folks at the department of state would not allow it. His only hope was that some **** hot state district attourney would take up the cause and go after them. Well this is starting to sound like a rant so I will close.

I guess I really need to get back on a stream.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:09 PM

Ok, darn it, this is a new simptom even for me. Here in the last day or two I find myself thinking about, and worse yet practicing my casting stroke at the oddest of times. I don't even have a rod in my hand and here I am practicing my stroke and the timing of my double haul....what gives?