Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-01-2010, 04:20 PM

I have always used a vest,because they look cool!!! and as much as i try to keep it lite (everytime i pick it up I am amazed how heavy it is) I just have to have everything in there. I have tried on chest packs and just haven't found the right one but i see myself purchasing one this year.
Keep posting links to the packs you wear, I like what I see.

I have been looking at this one:
http://techvest.biz/vestfront.html

Chris
Old 02-02-2010, 01:38 PM

A vest always makes me roast in teh summer time so I use a Fanny!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:28 PM

Default vest or chest pack

I wore vests for many years, then got tired of the weight and the warmth. Switched to a FlyteDeck, which is based on an Okuma aluminum fly box, and a fishing shirt with two more Okumas in the pockets, along with some other stuff. After a few seasons decided I didn't have enough room for other necessities. Now I'm using a JW Outfitters Trout Plus chestpack with the Turtleback pack option. I can carry everything I need for fishing in the chestpack, and food and miscellaneous gear in the backpack. JW Outfitters doesn't exist any more. A similar product which is sold by our host, Little River Outfitters, is the William-Joseph Confluence pack.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:52 PM

I spey fish for Salmon and Steelhead up until three years ago I would carry two fly boxes and extra tippet inside the top half of my waders. My wading belt kept the from slipping down.

That was fine if I was going to be in a area not too far from my vehicle.

As you can tell I was very limited to what I could carry with me to the river.

I purchased an LL Bean Rapid River Vest a few years ago and things changed. I started carrying more because I was moving around alot more.

Walk a few miles up or down river from where I parked became the norm.

Some of the very fine features of the Rapid River Vest aside from the amount of equipment you could stuff into it are the shoulder straps.

Adjustable, wide, and padded for comfort. Once on I very rarely ever have to shift it and after a while I hardly know I have it on regardless of the weight I am carrying.

Another feature that really mades a difference is the padded wasite belt and lumbar support. It also acts as a wading belt if you so choose to.

Even when climbing or casting the vest doesn't shift or waddle back and forth.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:02 PM

It all depends upon the situation. If I am going to be within 1/2 mile of the Jeep and/or moving for most of the day, I wear a fishing shirt with box in one pocket and camera/tippet in the other. I used bead chain to connect my nippers to my forceps and pinch the forceps on my shirt.

If it is a long day or long walk out, I use the same setup but I add a camo Camelbak pack for water, first aid/survival gear, lunch, rain jacket and any extra boxes or gear. A net hooks on it well if I am targeting larger fish and it fits so tightly to my back, I don't even notice it.

Saltwater, I wear a fanny pack for the water bottle, mostly.

I don't like a pack hanging on my chest.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbrown View Post
I don't like a pack hanging on my chest.
You are not alone there; I know many who had trouble getting use to having a chest pack.

Trying to think back when I first wore one, I think it was more of a relief to get that hot and heavy vest off than anything else.

I have been wearing one for a while now I would be very hard pressed to go back to a vest. But you never know.

Last night I purchased an LL Bean lumbar pack; I will give it a try this year and see if it will be a good addition to my Richardson. Just leery that I might start carrying more stuff.

Anyway getting back to the chest pack I discovered to really make it comfortable and secure is the quality of the back strap. If it is wide, padded, and adjustable so much the better.

I scrapped my Richardson strap right off, and modified my Orvis chesk pack back strap to fit it. Hasn't been off since.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:14 PM

Default vest or chest pack

One drawback to a waist or fanny pack is that it limits the depth of water in which you can wade, unless you've got one of the Simms packs that is waterproof. With my chest pack I can wade at least a little more than waist-deep without getting anything but my waders wet. There is just no perfect system for carrying all the gizmos, etc., we just have to have when we go flyfishing.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:41 PM

Being a wilderness survivalist nut, when fishing before I had my amputation, I would sometimes disappear for days. I like getting on a lot of the small back streams to fish with no one else around. So I like to use a Molle Tactical Utility Shoulder Pack. It has tons of compartments for all of your gear. Has the Molle straps on it, so you can add on other pouches or a nice holster. Throw in my Molle Recon butt pack, and you may not see me for 2 weeks.

http://airsoft-club.com/shop/tactica...gital-acu-camo
http://www.recon-tactical.com/images/37CL17AU.jpg
Old 02-05-2010, 06:25 PM

Default LL Bean Lumbar Pack

After posting to this thread I go to thinking wiht my
Richardson I should give a limbar pack a try.

I receieved today my new LL Bean Lumbar Pack.

The wide straps and the firmness of the support looks
like it might do the trick.

Only time and on the stream will tell.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:54 PM

I have tried them all, started with a vest, to hot and hard to get to water bottle in rear pouch. Tried an Orvis back pack. Again hot and to many dodads to catch fly line. Tried chest pack, a man with a beer gut the chest pack stuck out to far. Went to Fishpond fanny pack. Love it, except again beer gut with no bu_ _ lead to fanny pack around knees when hiking. I then got tired of messing with it on one trip, went for a day with just lanyard and fly box in pocket. Of course i didn't get real far from road, at most a mile. I found out that most of the stuff I carry is never used. On long trips I now use my Filson strap vest, the rear pouch is big enough to hold my jet boil and food and first aid kit.