Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 02-08-2010, 09:34 PM

Default New flies on teh blog

I put some new flies up on the blog today.

I was bored and tied up some really HOT pink crappie flies and also executed my first attepmt at spinnng deer hair.

If you guys are interested, the link is in my signature line.

Here's my poor attempt at spinning deer hair.

I know I need to pack it better (need to get one of those "brassie" hair packers. Wonder if LRO stocks them?). Also someone on another forum said I may want to tie on bigger bundles of hair to make it more full.

I reckon this will catch fish. I did have fun trying it though.

Jeff

Old 02-08-2010, 09:52 PM

Default Good Job!

Nice job jeffnles1! Anvil makes a Push Button Hair Packer that I use and like pretty good. I think they sell for around $12.00. Keep up the good work!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:36 PM

Sweet flies
Old 02-08-2010, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
I know I need to pack it better (need to get one of those "brassie" hair packers. Wonder if LRO stocks them?). Also someone on another forum said I may want to tie on bigger bundles of hair to make it more full.
Jeff,
You can use an empty prescription bottle to help you stack in the beginning. Thanks for sharing you fly. It looks like it would be a great bass fly and who knows what else will hit it...? Keep up the creative work and I appreciate you posting your design. As far as tying in the hair; do it in controlled sections of the hook. Don't try and do too much at one time. Then, you have to be creative in the trimming part with your scissors. You will have many bad ones at the beginning, but, keep working at it.

Good luck...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-09-2010, 11:34 AM

That looks like it would be a killer bass fly. Nice work!
Old 02-09-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
Jeff,
You can use an empty prescription bottle to help you stack in the beginning. Thanks for sharing you fly. It looks like it would be a great bass fly and who knows what else will hit it...? Keep up the creative work and I appreciate you posting your design. As far as tying in the hair; do it in controlled sections of the hook. Don't try and do too much at one time. Then, you have to be creative in the trimming part with your scissors. You will have many bad ones at the beginning, but, keep working at it.

Good luck...
Empty prescription bottle. Now, that sounds like a great idea. I'll give it a shot. Anything has to be better than impailing my thumb on the hook point when my fingers slipped doing it by hand (ouch). The ink pen barrel worked OK but in order to get it over the hook eye, the hole semed to just fold the hair back more than actually packing it. Teh extra surface area of the base of the pill bottle seems like it will work.

Perhaps instead of drilling a hole for the hook eye, I can cut a slit in the bottle so it can slide over the hook shank? Hmm, have to experiment. I have several plastic pill bottles laying around that I use to store stuff like guitar picks and the like.

Jeff