Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-23-2010, 10:39 AM

Jim Casada and Jeff S. clearly stated my sentiments exactlly. I'm all for it, and it is long overdue.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:38 PM

I am for it as well. I do not carry a gun, nor do I have a carrying permit. I do hunt.
If I ever decide to carry a weapon it will be for self defense more against another person rather than an animal. Jim Casada stated my views quite well.
Hopefully nobody will abuse this law, but there always seems to be a black sheep in every herd...
Old 02-23-2010, 01:11 PM

I am against it and hope that it will be revisited.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:29 PM

I am for it and Jim your post was quite striking on why it is a good idea. I have a carry permit as well although I probably will not carry in the backcountry since a handgun is heavy and I would find it a hassle to keep moisture away from it and such while in the creek. However, I would never want anyone elses right to be taken away if they choose to exercise it.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:32 PM

I'm on the fence in this case. I am all about supporting 2nd Amendment rights, but I am concerned about having more people carrying in the Park. I'm certain everyone on this forum is a responsible gun owner, but what about all the yahoos that you see in the Park every time you visit? How long will it be until someone you know runs into some redneck a-hole that has a chip on his shoulder? Do we all have to carry now to feel safe?

Personally, I still haven't decided if I think it is a good or bad thing. In fact, I've been considering a hand gun purchase for a while now for the very purpose of carrying when I am in the back country. It is a rational instinct to want to carry, but you have to admit that this new rule does change some things (some of which aren't necessarily for the better).
Old 02-23-2010, 03:50 PM

We can't live our lives based on what might happen. We should live it based on the rights that the constitution guarantees us. I too share your concern, but only to a small extent. I'm much more worried about the guy that has been in prison and couldn't care less if he gets caught without a permit.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:54 PM

Jim Casada and Jeff S. say it very well. I will add just a couple of thoughts.

Gun control laws by definition have no effect on the criminal element (i.e. a criminal by definition does not obey the law, so who will a gun control law impact? only the law abiding).

For those of you who have concerns about what may happen, those arguments are remarkably similiar to arguments made as states started adopting right to carry permits. The verdict is already in, take a look at the stats from states that have permits. If you look at the data you will see a marked decline in violent crimes in states that have right to carry laws.

The 2nd Amendment guarantees an individuals right to keep and bear arms, and this individual right has been upheld by the supreme court.

I have no problem with someone choosing not to keep or carry a firearm, it is his or her individual right to make that choice. The problem I have is when someone else wants to make that choice for me.

A long overdue change.

John
Old 02-23-2010, 05:51 PM

I think it will be a good deterrent against carjackings and other random violent crimes,
but what do I know? I am just one of those bitter folks clinging to my guns and religion.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:34 PM

Default Guns in the Park

I am for it and as others have stated, not for wild animal protection (the four legged variety). I do not live my life in fear of my fellow man however, as my years advance I no longer feel I can deter or flee an altercation barehanded or fleet footed therefore I legally carry a sidearm. Enter into the scenario protection of loved ones and the decision is even easier. I never carried in the park before because I never wanted to lose my carry permit and/or gun if I was caught with it there but now I will. I agree with one posting that it may not stand which will depend primarily on the anti-gun crowd challenges. Time will tell.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH0802 View Post
Jim Casada and Jeff S. say it very well. I will add just a couple of thoughts.

Gun control laws by definition have no effect on the criminal element (i.e. a criminal by definition does not obey the law, so who will a gun control law impact? only the law abiding).

For those of you who have concerns about what may happen, those arguments are remarkably similiar to arguments made as states started adopting right to carry permits. The verdict is already in, take a look at the stats from states that have permits. If you look at the data you will see a marked decline in violent crimes in states that have right to carry laws.

The 2nd Amendment guarantees an individuals right to keep and bear arms, and this individual right has been upheld by the supreme court.

I have no problem with someone choosing not to keep or carry a firearm, it is his or her individual right to make that choice. The problem I have is when someone else wants to make that choice for me.

A long overdue change.

John
My thoughts exactly. I accidentally came between a sow and her two cubs this past summer. I was on them, stringer of fish in hand, before either party knew it because of the noise of the creek roaring. It was getting dark and I was about 1.5 miles from my truck. Needless to say, in no small measure, I was in an elevated state of fear. I would never want to shoot a bear, unless it was the VERY LAST choice. In other words, I wished it would have been legal to have my weapon that day. It turned out I didn't need it but, by the hair of a frogs back, it almost went the other way and I probably wouldn't be here typing now. I love my wife and want to do everything in my power to return to her safely each and every day as well as to protect her when she is with me, whether it be the two or four legged variety that poses the danger.