Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 02-21-2010, 08:25 PM

Default Hello from Eastern Kentucky

I've already asked some questions on the forum, but thought I should introduce myself. I'm a graduate student at Marshall University in WV and live in Grayson, KY. I've been fishing my entire life, although I started fly fishing about 8 years ago. I consider it to have been one of the biggest revelations in my life!! haha. There really isn't any good fishing around Grayson, but I do fish some tailwaters in Kentucky (Herrington, Cumberland, Grayson and Yatesville Lake--as well as some smaller streams: Big Caney Creek, Laurel Creek, etc). I consider my home river to be the Elk in WV...that's where I caught my first trout on the fly. I also fish the Cranberry. I fish the Smokies a few times a year, as often as I can make it down there. I am a big fan of pursuing brook trout. I'm making a trip down to the Smokies in March...and I can hardly wait.

Fly-fishing is always a not so distant thought, regardless of whatever I'm doing. Sometimes I think about dropping everything and moving deep into the mountains...So, I am excited to find a site like this that will allow me to live vicariously through the stories and pictures of others.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:34 PM

bias5246,

I am also a student at Marshall. We'll have to explore some of these West Virginia streams come Spring.

Grousegunner

PS. The Elk is one of my favorite rivers as well...
Old 02-22-2010, 04:07 PM

bias5246 and grousegunner--As a "recovering" university professor, I hope you don't devote all your waking, thinking hours to streams or dreams of streams. Grousegunner's "handle" suggests otherwise, and since both of you are at Marshall, maybe one of you can tell me whether Dr. Michael Galgano is still head of the History Department there. We were Ph. D. students together at Vanderbil light years ago, and if memory serves he ended up at Marshall.
Anyway, a hearty welcome to both of you, and I think you will both understand my mindset from when I was your age. I did my undergraduate work at King College, in Bristol, TN. Between the fact that there were two women's colleges there, King owning a golf course, and the nearby presence of two world-class tailwaters (Holston and Watauga), my studies suffered more than they should have.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 AM

It looks like the Thundering Herd is well represented. Welcome!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:15 PM

bias5246 - Welcome to the wonderful world of the LRO forum!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:52 PM

Another Huntington, WV and Marshall guy here.
Mr. Casada, I don't think Dr. Galgano is still at MU. He was when I was in school, but has probably retired by now.
BTW, Your latest book is outstanding.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:18 AM

Hedge--Thanks. I figured he would have retired by now but thought I'd check. I appreciate the kind remarks about my book.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com