Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 02-21-2010, 09:00 PM

I would not be caught dead wearing bright or fluorescent colors period! I have had people suggest that it doesn't matter...I have not fished with them again.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com

Last edited by GrouseMan77; 02-22-2010 at 04:02 PM..
Old 02-22-2010, 09:23 AM

Didn't mean for the post to get high-jacked by my hat. I have worn cowboy hats my intire life while fishing (I grew up fishing in the Sierra's in Ca). I often wear a brown one that is a little more stealthy, however I can honestly say that I have outfished others wearing stealthier hats than my straw cowboy hat. To be honest the choice of the cowboy hat is mostly weather dependent for me....I tend to wear the straw one when it is very warm. I have spent much of my life outdoors both for fun, and while I was in the Marine Corps. My father has had some issues with mild skin cancer, and I decided a while back that if I wanted to continue to enjoy the outdoors that I would need to take some precautions in the sun. For this reason I almost exclusively wear long sleeved shirts, and a hat is a must. I do have a camo hat that is one of my favorite fishing hats, but when it is really warm it just gets too hot. I have not really tried any comparisons of outcomes while fishing, but I will have to start a personal experiment to see if it has an effect on my fishing. Truth be told I prefer the brown cowboy hat, but tend not to wear it if I have not had a haircut in a bit (it is a little tight if I have not recently gotten my hair cut), I have been just too cheep to get one a little bigger. They do work great to cut the glare, and the straw hats are much cooler.

John
Old 02-22-2010, 09:41 AM

Here is a picture with my camo hat, and a nice fish! It was raining pretty hard, so I didn't wear the straw cowboy hat.

Here is a picture of one of the nicer browns that I have caught....with the straw cowboy hat

Last edited by JohnH0802; 02-22-2010 at 09:43 AM.. Reason: Pic did not load
Old 02-22-2010, 01:36 PM

I don't know where I heard it, but I remember hearing that it is unlucky to fish in a cowboy hat. Then I see this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnH0802 View Post
Doesn't look too unlucky to me. Nice fish. Cool hat.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALflygirl View Post
now that is a pretty pic, wheres that river? I want to build a house in the middle of it....
Old 02-25-2010, 11:53 PM

i think sometimes fish are sensitive to bright colors, sometimes they arent. Ive cuaght fish in the park that have hit the fly almost between my feet while i was wearing a white tee shirt. Ive also had times when i could see fish spooking before i ever got within casting range (while i was wearing green and being sneaky)
Old 03-01-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaircaddis View Post
i think sometimes fish are sensitive to bright colors, sometimes they arent. Ive cuaght fish in the park that have hit the fly almost between my feet while i was wearing a white tee shirt. Ive also had times when i could see fish spooking before i ever got within casting range (while i was wearing green and being sneaky)
I honestly think some fish are just plain dumber than others.