Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-01-2010, 07:19 PM

I forgot one that you reminded me, Cant believe I forgot this new one. One new Under Armour Camo long sleave synthic shirt.

Everyone needs some new Camo for 2010.

I am sure I will have fun figuring out all the new gear.

Anyone else get something new for this season.

P.S
My favority quote of the Month:

"Can't wait to bust out some ninja move on those trout!"
Old 03-01-2010, 09:35 PM

If you have to have it for backcountry camping/fishing, I have recently bought it. I had almost nothing and now I think I have what I need to make it work. Too long of a list to post. I'm taking my first backcountry trip in April. I can't wait!
Old 03-01-2010, 09:49 PM

I too am excited for spring. I've been trying my hand at tying my own flies. I've gotten fairly decent. I just got my new reel in--Orvis Battenkill 3/4 and some new Orvis waders and boots. I fell in while fishing the Chimney Tops this November!! It was freezing. But since I try to be tough, I just changed clothes and went right back out. I didn't have felt on, so felt-bottomed wading shoes should be a worthy investment.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:26 PM

I got a new Sage rod and new Dan Bailey waders along with learning to tie up alot of different trout flies. So I got 2 system x boxes and filled them up with my new learned skills. I cannot wait to try and use all these new tools. I hear rumor of a z axis coming my way around spring but thats just a rumor for now.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:36 PM

I broke down and finally got a Western Mountaineering down bag and I can't wait to try it out on Hazel Creek this spring....
Old 03-02-2010, 08:58 AM

The best way to keep warm in a hammock is to roll it up and put it in the corner of the motel room. I am looking forward to getting in the park and trying to outwit some trout. Usually, the trout win.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:55 AM

Elkins, I snagged the Ice Breakers camo super closeout on this website called Gilt. It is a member's only site, and for the most part they sell a bunch of designer metro crap. Sometimes they have really steep discounts on outdoor gear though. I'll send you an invite to join, but the Ice Breakers sale is finito.

Regarding the Hennessey in cold weather, there are a few essentials:

- I highly recommend the "undercover" system that Hennessey sells. It comes w/ a foam pad for extra insulation and makes a huge difference.
- Line the very outer layer with a space/emergency blanket (i.e. under the foam pad).
- Layer extra clothes on top of the foam pad (down jacket, fleece, whatever you have). Sometimes instead of putting the extra clothes in with the foam pad I'll just scatter them around me inside the hammock.
- On super cold nights, boil some water and fill a Nalgene bottle and stuff that down in the bottom on your sleeping bag to keep your feet warm (screw the lid good and tight!).
- I feel like it makes a big difference if your hammock is nice and tight instead of sagging (when it is sagging, all the insulation tends to migrate to the center, leaving cold spots at the head/foot areas, and your body doesn't circulate as much blood to your feet).

Speck Lover, that night that you and your daughter got too cold would have been a lot more pleasant with just the undercover system. I can sleep comfortably in my hammock with just the undercover and no pad down into the upper 40s (I have a 19 degree Western Mountaineering down bag). You get down into the lower 40s and you need the undercover + the pad. I hope that helps!

Also, since I'm on a Hennessey roll here, I'm gonna go ahead and recommend the snake skins as well. They just make life with the hammock a lot easier (storage & setup). On another trip w/ Grannyknot (the Citico Creek Death March Trail, Bee City campsite), it started dumping rain on us, and I was able to tie up my hammock with the snake skins covering the hammock and string up my rain fly for a quick 2 or 3 man shelter. The Hennessey is an awesome shelter, but I have to admit that I have a tent that I often carry as well =)
Old 03-02-2010, 11:11 AM

Carlito,

For Xmas I got the Deep Jungle. It has a different kind of reflective bubble pad i think. I have not every used it before but am looking forward to giving it a try.

Have you heard anything about this module. Dont expect to be in anything below mid 40's.

I to have a four season tent for the really cold day.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac View Post
Carlito,

For Xmas I got the Deep Jungle. It has a different kind of reflective bubble pad i think. I have not every used it before but am looking forward to giving it a try.

Have you heard anything about this module. Dont expect to be in anything below mid 40's.

I to have a four season tent for the really cold day.
Dude, I am jealous! I bet that thing will be great. The undercover system can be a little finicky sometimes, and that looks like a great improvement. I was just discussing that new system on Sunday w/ my buddy Brian who introduced me to the Hennessey
Old 03-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bias5246 View Post
I too am excited for spring. I've been trying my hand at tying my own flies. I've gotten fairly decent. I just got my new reel in--Orvis Battenkill 3/4 and some new Orvis waders and boots. I fell in while fishing the Chimney Tops this November!! It was freezing. But since I try to be tough, I just changed clothes and went right back out. I didn't have felt on, so felt-bottomed wading shoes should be a worthy investment.
I would buy the rubber sole boots and skip the felt. I have a hunch the Park will be outlawing the felt sole sometime in the near future.