Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-02-2010, 10:08 PM

I just noticed the link I posted was dated 2002!

Here is another link:
http://www.nraila.org/recmap/usrecmap.aspx

Tennessee recognizes permits from every state.

Chris
Old 03-02-2010, 10:14 PM

My permit is from Kentucky which has one of the more rigorous carry permit processes. As Jim said, the people who will be allowed to carry in the park are licensed by their home states and only people with licenses from those states which Tennessee recognizes will be allowed.

The "wild west" argument has been used by the anti-gun crowd in almost every state where right to carry legislation has been introduced. Something like 40 states now have right to carry laws and have had them in place for over a decade. The wild west has not happened in any of them.

Responsible adults who have gone through the rigor of training, testing, and the extensive background checks necessary for a concealed carry permit are not going to go about shooting up the park. It's just not going to happen.

Carrying a firearm does not equal lawlessness. The scare tactics of the wild west infers there will be lawlessness. People who are granted carry permits have, through the background checks, proven themselves to be law abiding citizens who are not prone to such lawlessness. By the very nature, we are people who are law abiding citizens.

Even minor crimes will result in the revoke of a license.

So, if a person is fearing a rash of lawlessness in the park, it's not going to happen from licensed firearms holders. It hasn't happened in any of the states where permits are issued and there is absolutely no reason to believe it will happen in the park.

Criminals already have them. Those who do not care about the law are already carrying weapons and will use them in the pursuit of their criminal activity..

Civilized and law abiding people who have the means to exercise the right to self defense are a deterrent to crime, not a cause of it.

Just my .02 worth.

Jeff
Old 03-02-2010, 10:33 PM

Default Guns in the park, shotguns allowed?

TN carry law (note; not required to be concealed, Knoxville cop found this out the hard way after a false arrest) stipulates that a handgun meet certain requirements, i.e. size. Recently a young man in Cumberland State Park, I think, carried openly a gun resembling an assault rifle with a shortened barrel. Several visitors were alarmed at the sight of it and notified authorities. Several rangers arrived on the scene and the man was briefly detained but later released because 1, he had a valid carry permit and 2, the gun met the requirements that it was legally determined to be a "handgun."
Several have questioned the purpose of the man in doing this because he stated that he intended to take the gun to yet other state parks carrying it openly as he did at Cumberland. Personally I hope someone finds a way to end his fun because it is obvious he is doing more harm than good for the case of carrying guns in parks. However, I think the issue of allowed gun types that can be carried by holders of permits is primarily defined based on barrel and/or overall length. It's interesting that caliber doesn't enter into the question.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:17 AM

Tn Boy you are right the law in tennessee does not say the gun must be concealed. the incident you are referring to took place in Radnor Park here in Nashville. The gun was an AK type weapon without a buttstock. It had apparently been manufacturered as a pistol and therefore met the test of the law. He is now suing for being detained. Radnor is a state park, so he could carry. Nashville opted out of allowing carry in local parks. The issue of carry was being revisited for more remote city parks. This guy pretty well kicked that in the head with his act. Frankly, If I had seen this guy wandering around in para military getup carrying what would appear to be an AK I would have called the authorities to have him checked out Regards, Silvercreek
Old 03-03-2010, 09:32 AM

So I could carry a shotgun?!? wow! I won't....but I could?

I guess it's true that I will likely see no difference when I'm in the park.

But do you think it will make a difference to the rangers? I mean their safety and will they have to approach people differently?
Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 AM

Why would a ranger have to approach a law abiding citizen differently just becasue he may be carrying, that is absurd. The law enforcment officers that I know have no issues with approaching someone with a carry permit, it does not affect thier outlook at all because they realize that it is the criminal that they have to worry about and the criminal will be armed regardless of the law. A wildlife officer/ranger/game officer approaches armed people (hunters) every day. Again it is not the law abiding, with or without arms, that a law enforcement officer is concerned about.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:44 AM

Nope, You as an individual can't just call any gun a handgun, or cut off the barrel and stock to the definition of a handgun. The MANUFACTURER has to make it as a handgun to the legal definition of a handgun, and have the receiver/frame serial number registered as a handgun. That's federal law. Then you have state legal definitions of what is a handgun to satisfy. Silvercreek
Old 03-03-2010, 01:07 PM

The federal government classified any firearm under 14 inches as concealable. This was according to the BATF booklet I had when a gunsmith. Does anyone have the latest booklet? Your local gun shop would have one, if someone will ask for the information as what defines a pistol.
When I lived in Kentucky, '74-'82, I asked a deputy sheriff about a concealed weapon. He told me that I could carry a handgun in my vehicle in plain sight. If I covered it with a jacket, newspaper, etc., then it became a concealed weapon.

Last edited by Knothead; 03-03-2010 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: add comments
Old 03-03-2010, 01:07 PM

thanks silvercreek, I understand.

and I was asking about the rangers, because I was thinking instead of asking for a license will they now also ask if you have a gun. Just wondering...I'm not trolling or trying to get anyone upset....just curious... making internet small talk!
Old 03-03-2010, 01:40 PM

I understand your question jross but think about it this way. You have people with carry permits walking all over knoxville passing and talking to police officers in stores and going about their every day business. Most of the police that I pass or say hello too do not ask me or anyone else if we are carrying a gun even though we might be. I don't think the rangers would have any need to ask random people if they are carrying a gun unless they have evidence a crime is or has taken place. It would be akin to a policeman pulling me over just to see if I had a drivers license I think.