Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Photography

Old 03-10-2010, 11:45 AM

Default DSLR while fishing

Continued from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterborn View Post
Hey Travis
At risk of too much photography on this thread, may hafta move down into its nameake category...how are you liking the sigma 18-50 2.8? I'm thinking of switching to a fast mid zoom for my carryall lens...i hear ya about not wanting to carrying expensive glass on the water, but man it can make the difference...I have a 70-200 2.8is I would love to swing around, but that baby is not one to dink about with in the water unless it was for a specific shoot...
and if you upgrade dslr, think about full frame...course financially, does it make sense if your lenses are for cropped sensors, but then again - some full frame cameras have a compensation setting for using cropped lenses to get rid of the vignette....
I hear ya on the quality from the kit lens to better glass.

You know I really enjoy my 18-50mm 2.8 Sigma. It does a very good job at 2.8 thru 8.0, and it focuses very quickly and sharply 99% of the time. The times I have had problems with it focusing are when I am taking pictures indoors with inconsistent lighting (like a ceiling fan rotating and causing the lighting to fluctuate), also this winter taking pictures during falling snow it would focus on each snowflake that flew in front of it. However, if it was sensitive enough to focus on snowflakes passing by with very good lighting conditions I think that really speaks for it's speed. A fellow co-worker has the Nikon 17-55mm 2.8, and we did some side-by-side comparisons and he was very impressed. Actually said he was kicking himself for spending 3 times more for a lens that was only marginally better. He recently sold his for $500 (1/3 of what they go for new) since he now has a full frame camera and the 17-55mm was an APS-C sensor.

I have a LowePro Slingshot that is water resistant that I am tempted to take to the water soon. I can carry my D40 with 18-50mm Sigma attached, 50mm 1.8 standby, plus my HD camcorder with me. However, if I were to take a swim I stand to lose a lot of money.

Can you shoot me an email when you get a chance? knxtravis80 at gmail.com.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 03-10-2010, 03:27 PM

The lens sounds pretty sweet, I'm kinda kicking myself too - I was going to get something similar, but decided on a prime - a 50mm 1.4, with the sensor crop makes it a great fixed 80mm portrait lens for the images on the side I do...I've messed around with it some on the water, but still too long of a focal length to comfortably hold a fish in one hand and photo with the other and get full length shots (unless of course its a warpaint shiner !)
Yeah, I worry too about doing a boulder dance or some slickrock shuffle and taking a header into the drink with hard earned cash around my neck...I thought about bring the camcorder too, but I dunno - not sure I'm ready to make my wife mad at me if I destroy all our kid moment capturing devices
Email's on the way...
Old 03-10-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterborn View Post
Yeah, I worry too about doing a boulder dance or some slickrock shuffle and taking a header into the drink with hard earned cash around my neck...I thought about bring the camcorder too, but I dunno - not sure I'm ready to make my wife mad at me if I destroy all our kid moment capturing devices
Email's on the way...
Same here. If I were to damage any of my equipment, I would definitely be on my wife's short list. My gear is used to photograph the tiny kid 99% of the time.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler