Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 03-11-2010, 11:54 PM

Default bream flies

I thought it might be interesting if everyone would post what their favorite warm water bluegill fly would be. Feel free to post pics and even add the recipes to your favorite flies.

Mine is a squirrel tail clouser minnow with red eyes and red flashaboo tied on a size 8 mustad 9672 streamer hook. I will try to upload photos later.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:56 AM

I think my favorite 2 topwater bream flies are a size 8 firetiger stealth bomber and Walts black/green poppers.

for nymphs, I tie black and chartruse Rubber legged dragons and I'll fish green weenies and barbie bugs but I probably have as much success by using a #12 BH oversized soft hackle pheasant tail as anything.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:53 PM

I've posted several of the ones that really produce for me on my blog (www.kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com).

These are ones that over the past several years have been consistent producers.

Jeff
Old 03-14-2010, 02:05 PM

Default Bream flies

I like anything, wet or dry, that has red or yellow in it. I have some cheap import flies that catch bream when fished wet. Yellow is the best with red following a close second.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:20 PM

I'll go with Gary on the Stealth Bomber. I tie larger ones so the little guys don't take them even though they try. Also, the big guys don't take them deep. Gary seems to do the same thing. I don't usually keep bluegill to eat though there is not much better table fare. I love bluegill fishing for many reasons. It takes me back to my early days of fly fishing in the early 60's, I like to watch them rise, hover and think for a few seconds and nothing fights better for their size. I could only fish for bluegill and other panfish for the rest of my life and be happy. I do make poppers too from 3/8" foam cylinders on a #6 popper hook. They work well.

Byron
Old 03-14-2010, 08:07 PM

Chernobyl Ants work very well.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 PM

I love top water flies for bream myself, but it's hard to beat the catching ability of a Bully's Bluegill Spider for subsurface action
Old 03-15-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman View Post
I love top water flies for bream myself, but it's hard to beat the catching ability of a Bully's Bluegill Spider for subsurface action
I like those Bully's also. I tie those with the micro centipede legs for a little more leg movement when twitched! Sometimes I add small beadchain for weight instead of lead wire. Those and cap spiders are a good fly to suspend under a popper.

last summer I kept a nice mess of bream from the lower little river. A combination of bream, redbreast and a few redeyes. YUM!

I think if bluegill would grow to five pounds or better, no one would care about fishing for stocked trout or largemouth for that matter!
Old 03-15-2010, 05:04 PM

chartreuse popper or occasional sneaky pete. My dad and I used to swear by a brand that I think might have been made locally? Mr. Bob's? Anyone remember that one? I can't find them any more. They held up really well, unlike a lot that you buy now that get chewed up after only a few strikes.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:33 PM

I agree, pound for pound or inch for inch, there is no better fish to fight on a fly rod than a bluegill. The fact they attack poppers readily, are very plentiful and taste great make them my favorite fish to catch. They are the only freshwater fish I keep. I guess with the issues the Caney has this year, I'll be doing more bluegill fishing. It's a tough job but someone needs to do it. BTW, small yellow poppers, small black and copper buggers, small tokyo spiders in black/yellow and #10 soft hackles on scud hooks are my flies of choice.