Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 03-16-2010, 07:48 PM

Default Potomac River in WVa

Has anyone else fished the Potomac River in or around Petersburg, WVa?
I did last year and the trout fishing was outstanding.
We did a float trip through Monongahela National Forest. We used Eagles Nest Outfitters to drop us off and pick us up (plus rented canoes from them). this is a great weekend trip. The next time I go....I am taking my own boat to save the rental expense.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:05 PM

Eagle's Nest Outfitters is top notch!

That area is generally known for it's smallmouth fishing. Did you float from Big Bend to Petersburg or Petersburg to Moorefield? I floated the Petersburg to Moorefield back about 2002 and we boated close to 100 smallies. About a year later there was a major fish kill on the river (still unknown cause) and the river is finally returning to form. If you're into smallmouth, float "The Trough" section!

If you're in the area, you should go a bit further north and fish the North Branch of the Potomac below Jennings Randolph lake. It's a tailwater fishery and there are some monster fish in there! I believe there are a few guides in Maryland that float it.

My favorite stream in WV is about 20 miles south of Petersburg in the Potomac watershed.

Chris
Old 03-18-2010, 07:43 AM

WVBrookie,

I floated from Big Bend down to Petersburg. We camped for two nights across from what's known as the Apple Orchard (I believe that's the correct name). You're right about the smallmouth fishing. We caught many of those too. Sure was some beautiful country.