Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-18-2010, 04:03 PM

there are a couple of sreams closed in the park. The best option you have is to go to Sugarlands and get a new fishing map and have the park rangers show you what is closed. That way there is no confusion.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
Seriously though, it's awesome that you are getting out with the fam and your teen boys are down with back country camping.
Don't mistake the fact that I am no way in **** gonna leave an 18 and 16 year old boys home alone to PARTY, with the fact that they are really excited about this. One thinks this is cool, the other one cannot believe I am taking him away from his girlfriend "like OH MY GOD DAD, NO CELL SERVICE!!!!!"
Old 03-18-2010, 04:28 PM

Drugcop4,

You need to print that information and post it at the trailhead. Maybe it will spare you some company this weekend.

There are two stream crossings right before #30 that can be a little hairy. I can't remember how far apart they are but one is right before the site. I really like that one.

Carlito,

I regret that I had to work so much when you were younger.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 03-18-2010, 05:10 PM

I know there is a tricky crossing at the lower end of CS24...really depends on how much water is in the stream.....this is where rough creek comes in from the left and has washed out the trail by the bridge...there is a nice pool on the left side of the trail by the bridge that generally holds several trout....hard not to see if they will take something...you can usually pick up several small trout in the small glade by the lower end of rough creek by the campsite....if you go higher up in the campsite there are some sites that are a little more secluded....look around and don't just plop down at the lower end no matter how tempted you are....
Old 03-19-2010, 11:32 AM

Okay I figure the water will be up because of snow pack melt, so ya'll need to specifically define "TRICKY" when talking about stream crossings. When I am in waders I am all over the water, but when I have a heavy pack and cannot breath, this is a different story.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:36 AM

From the NPS website:

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/fishing.htm
Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drugcop4 View Post
Okay I figure the water will be up because of snow pack melt, so ya'll need to specifically define "TRICKY" when talking about stream crossings. When I am in waders I am all over the water, but when I have a heavy pack and cannot breath, this is a different story.
My girlfriend can cross no problem using her treking poles for stability. If your wife gets worried about the crossing, just take your pack over first, go back and get hers, then help her over. Worst case scenario, someone gets their socks wet. It's not deep or treacherous. You just have to do a little rock hopping.

Aside to Elkins... touché!
Old 03-19-2010, 01:39 PM

Carlito is right....mostly rock hopping but this can be tricky with a heavy pack and no support....just look for those dry rocks....since I generally hike in in my fishing/wading shoes I will just generally walk through the water and change into my camp shoes while setting up...
Old 03-19-2010, 02:31 PM

Have fun up there! The bears can be problematic at #24 so be careful. Had one tear up my tent there about this time last year...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 03-19-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
Have fun up there! The bears can be problematic at #24 so be careful. Had one tear up my tent there about this time last year...
P.A., was it you that found someone had buried their trash right where you happened to put your tent?