Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-23-2010, 04:53 PM

Jim,
The first Brown could have come from the Reservation, I am not sure. I will say that it had a very hooked jaw and the kind of teeth that you rarely find on a hatchery fish....and it tasted like a wild trout By the way, looking at my post I forgot to mention that most of the action was on nymph's...bhpt and prince. By far the greatest concentration of insects in the stomach of all of the fish were cased caddis. My daughter loves to fly fish, and she is also a real sport (i.e. is willing to fish all day). Thanks for all of the comments.

John
Old 03-23-2010, 07:36 PM

John--I'm quite confident it was a hatchery-raised fish (again, compare the coloration and placement of red spots) but it probably had been in Straight Fork a good while. The jaw is suggestive in that regard and the taste even more so. In the latter regard, I would note that hatchery-raised fish of today taste much better than was once the case. I suppose changed food is the explanation.
As for eating the catch, you've got me a bit envious and considerably peckish just thinking about a mess of fried trout. I'll rectify that in a couple of weeks.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com