Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-25-2010, 10:15 AM

Default Fishing Ethics

I was fishing Middle Prong this past weekend. I only had 1.5 hours to fish. Obviously, it was a nice weekend and there were quite a few fly-fishers on Middlle Prong. I was working my way up the stream and stopped fishing to tie on some different wet flies/nymphs. As I was standing on the side of the stream, this guy fished right up to me....and then fished my run. To make matters worse, he was working his way down stream, and he was casting downstream. I just stood there amazed that he would fish right in front of me while I was re-tying my line. He then spoke to me and complained about not being able to catch any fish and then asked if I had caught any. Needless to say, I was not happy with his lack of ethics. All I said to him was that I was catching fish until he came along. He looked bewildered as I walked away. I guess I should have given him some friendly advice, including ethics advice, but I was in no humor for that.
Old 03-25-2010, 10:42 AM

Sometimes things are unavoidable I always try to take the high road. You did the right thing, he probly thought of your words and that will help us all down the road.
Lynn
Old 03-25-2010, 11:09 AM

I was fishing near Elkmont and parked at a big deep hole on the roadside as an older fellow watched me park, suit up, walk down, sneak across below the hole, and start working my way up the hole. He then parked beside me, pulled out a rod with a streamer on it and started casting all over the best part of the hole just as I worked my way up to it. Then he started trying to talk so I just shook my head and walked off. I couldn't bite my tongue last week though when 2 guys in jogging suits started fishing from the top of the bridge in the trophy section in Cherokee as another gentleman and I were trying to fish under it and they cast over top and all around us.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:29 AM

Sounds like you played it right. It is best to take the high road as No Hackle commented. Some people are completely oblivious to what goes on outside of their world. Then, there are times when you just have to give them a good E. TN Education.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-25-2010, 11:37 AM

tjw37909--The situation you describe (and two others on the thread) is precisely why I try, when possible, to get back of beyond. There's much less likelihood of such situations, and if they don't happen then I don't have occasion to open my pie hole (which I will invariably do).
I've encountered this time and again, with one calssic being this past summer when a fellow splashed into the stream directly in front of me and began casting. I walked up to him and asked him what he would think of someone doing the same to him. To my absolute amazement he said: "Don't you fish that run in front of me. I want to fish it."
I then pointed out that these were public waters and I guessed both of us could do as we pleased, but that common sense, decency, and sound ethics dictated giving the guy who was there first elbow room.
He then said I couldn't fish the stream (this was the state water on Deep Creek) where I was at all because he owned it. Apparently he did have a small lot fronting on one side of the stream, but I pointed out that he didn't own the water and if all landowners had an attitude similar to his the NCWRC would no longer stock the fish he was trying to catch.
None to this sat well and I eventually just reeled in, told him to give a bit more thought to what I had said, got out, and walked upstream.
It was a memorable moment, but not of the positive kind. My basic view is that the best we can do is set a good example, say something if the situation seems appropriate, and avoid heated confrontations. I must admit the latter sometimes is a challenge for me, but as I age I'm getting better.
Interestingly, and this will possibly stir some controversy, the prime examples of poor stream ethics I have seen come almost exclusively from one of three groups: (1) Old-timers such as the guy above who somehow think they "own" the stream. (2) Young hot shots who are new to the sport and have all the equipment but none of the ethics or appreciation of the fact that there's more to fishing than just casting and catching. (3) Spincasters and bait fishermen.
The latter may seem elitist, but I'm simply stating what I've observed over the years. I would add that certain segments of the fly fishing community can be snobs, and I don't frown on spincasting or bait fishing. I don't do either but I have, they are legal in some waters, and they are effective. Also, a couple of the finest fishermen (and men) I've ever known were, respectively, a spincaster and a bait fisherman.
Now, I guess I've opend a can of worms (yep, pun recognized and intended).
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 03-25-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Hackle View Post
Sometimes things are unavoidable I always try to take the high road. You did the right thing, he probly thought of your words and that will help us all down the road.
Lynn

I agree with Lynn. Honestly, I don't think some folks have a clue when it comes to stream etiquette. However, I've been known to get pretty creative with my casting when someone encroaches upon an area that I'm fishing. There's nothing like a hook whizzing by your nose to let you know that you're getting to close to someone.

Old 03-25-2010, 02:30 PM

I was told that there are more horses' rearends than there are horses. You could always throw rocks in the water.
This thread is one of the reasons that I like to fish places where people are too lazy to spend time and energy to fish.
Old 03-25-2010, 09:24 PM

I was on the middle prong of Little River last Friday along with lots of other fishermen. Thought it unusual that so many were there but remembered the rockslide had closed the east prong road so folks who otherwise might have fished along there were with me at Tremont. Had to drive most of the gravel road section before finding a vacant pulloff. Got out, dressed, and walked downstream about 25 yards and waded in. I hadn't been there five minutes until three young men parked across the road, got out and waded in right in front of me. One guy started fishing, another one was trying to coach him, and the other kid was taking pictures. They all eventually made eye contact but didn't even so much as throw up a hand let alone speak. I left wondering if they didn't know any better or just didn't care. I did notice the tags on the vehicle were local. I usually give a guy a break if he's wearing an out-of-state tag. For all I know this is his only week to fish the park so I say hi and move on but it's unforgivable for a local to step in the river in front of me.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:01 AM

It would be handy to have Chuck Norris for a fishing buddy. Having him along
might reduce some of this river rudeness. Seems like there is no better place
to fish than right where I am standing.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivergal View Post
It would be handy to have Chuck Norris for a fishing buddy
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Chuck Norris is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

A Handicapped parking sign does not signify that this spot is for handicapped people. It is actually in fact a warning, that the spot belongs to Chuck Norris and that you will be handicapped if you park there.

Chuck Norris doesn't daydream. He's too busy giving other people nightmares.