Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-25-2010, 03:58 PM

A few more items I always carry are the Zatarains Red Bean and Rice mixes. Just add the water and cook. Best to let them soak for an hour before cooking. Also Spam singles are good. For breakfast you can carry the little instant oatmeal or grits pouches. They are fast and easy. Also see about carrying a couple of big rat traps and some chunky peanut butter. Them squirrels go crazy for that stuff. A rat trap will feed you pretty darn good when your hungry.

You guys would hate to see my pack. It and me can disappear into the woods and never have to come back out. Us dang survivalist nuts.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:17 PM

Since I usually hike in to set up a base camp I don't skimp too much on the food...1st night is usually a steak that was pre-frozen before I left...will thaw out on the way in and makes for a great meal the first night.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TightLines View Post
Also see about carrying a couple of big rat traps and some chunky peanut butter. Them squirrels go crazy for that stuff. A rat trap will feed you pretty darn good when your hungry.

You guys would hate to see my pack. It and me can disappear into the woods and never have to come back out. Us dang survivalist nuts.
That is awesome. My girlfriend would freak!
Old 03-26-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
That is awesome. My girlfriend would freak!
I drill a hole in the top end of mine so I can use a small nail and hang them on the side of a tree. Have even caught dove in the things. LOL

Man y'all need one of my week long get aways to the woods. No matches allowed for fire starting. I usually carry 4 in my pack and my daughters carry 2 in each of their packs.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:29 PM

I usually do the tuna in the foil envelope (with a little tabasco and maybe mayo) for lunch, along with Gorp and do Mountain House type meals for supper. I like the Chicken Stew. If you're really hungry anything tastes good.