Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-28-2010, 10:57 AM

Default Middle Prong LR 3-27

My wife and I decided to go up Thunderhead prong and hike up the manway Saturday morning. She wanted to take a few pictures for her dad, who is doing a series of smoky mountain fly fishing watercolors, and I wanted to explore the area a little more with a fishing rod.

I stopped at the shop around lunch time to get some tying materials, but spent more time talking to byron than I did concentrating on my shopping list. I told him we were thinking of going up thunderhead, which almost immediately turned into a conversation about the brook trout restoration on Lynn Camp. Byron said he couldn't wait for the opening day and that he would be up there bright and early.

As we drove up the gravel road past tremont, I was amazed that noboddy was on the river. A few pull-offs were occupied, but for the most part, there wasn't anyone in sight.....until we got to the parking area at the end of the road. It was completely packed. Horseback riders, hikers, fishermen, picnicers, gawkers, rock chuckers, belly dancers, romperstompers...you name it..they were there. I thought that if a man were to set up a small table selling lemonade, keychains, bikini bottoms, & parking passes, he could retire early.

Anyway, there was no parking to be found anywhere. There was actually a line of people jockeying for position on the next available spot. It was a huge cluster, so we decided to drive back down the road and have our pick of quiet pull-offs.

The fishing really seems to be picking up in the park. I forgot my thermometer at home, but the water felt considerably warmer than a week ago. Bugs were all over the place and the fish were rising to dry flies without hesitation. I caught several small rainbows, one decent one that my wife couldn't get a good shot of, and missed a brown that would have been the crowing achievement of my fishing career thus far. It was one of those moments where you see the fish rise, feel the tension on your line, your heart skips a few beats, and hes gone. I must have casted back into the hole 30 times, but he was a gonner.

Heres a few pictures from the day. Hope everyone got a chance to get outside yesterday.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Nice report... but

Those photos you just posted, why they are killers!

I can't wait to get back down there.

Thanks for the river shots...
Old 03-29-2010, 10:37 AM

Awesome. Too bad you missed that big brown!

I agree. Things are picking up noticeably. Spring is upon us!
Old 03-29-2010, 06:46 PM

Default Carlito?

Did you forget your camera this weekend? I didn't make it out on Sunday...for obvious reasons.

If you or Granny feel like you are going to be sick on Wednesday let me know asap.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 03-30-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouseMan77 View Post
Did you forget your camera this weekend? I didn't make it out on Sunday...for obvious reasons.

If you or Granny feel like you are going to be sick on Wednesday let me know asap.
I didn't forget my camera, but Carah took the only trout photo I have and I'm waiting for her to email it to me. We had a great trip up to 18, although we about blew away when the storm came rolling in.