Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-29-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterborn View Post
I wish someone would explain that to the fish...I can't seem to keep them off my #22...bizarre...
Good for you, but I bet you couldn't keep the same fish off of a size 18 as well. Of course, what you consider "can't keep them off", and what others might consider "can't keep them off", may be entirely different.

Sure they will hit smaller flies, but why fight with them if you don't have to? From my own personal experiences, landing fish larger then 16" on tiny little flies is an iffy proposition, and I prefer to have as large a piece of steel as possible connecting me to the fish. Not to mention that there is NO reason, to ever go smaller on the Clinch. I do not EVER recall a single time when I left the river wishing I had something smaller to fish then an 18, not one time.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:59 AM

I can't argue with that point Jim. The more hook the better. "You said what you concider you can't keep them off" in that last post.

How many fish do you normally catch in a trip? To me I have been averaging 15-20 fish per trip this year.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:09 PM

"can't keep 'em off my #22's" simply is that more often that not, cast for cast, the #22 zebra for me at least, has proved more action and brought more fish (sizable ones at that) to the net than anything else for me the last few years fishing the Clinch - 'course maybe its just my own observations. From past trials, when fishing a tandem rig - top fly a #18 bhvrib (olive naturally - which had been my go to fly) and the drop a #22 zebra - the fish seemed to favor the smaller fly...maybe the larger stirred them...at any rate, I would end up cutting off the vrib. I agree the vrib is one heck of a fish producer more often that not, (maybe I don't tie them just right), but imho, there's always a reason to expand on the basics. Besides, landing any fish over 16" on anything is an iffy proposition in any situation - tippet, knots, subsurface terrain alone cause more troubles than hook size I think.
Aside from all of this being fairly trivial at best - 'cause in the end, we all will fish and do what we want to do, and for the most part - it all works.... the beauty being the privilege of inquiring and/or sharing of ones unique experiences is what this board is great for, your insights are a great asset and valued... it just seems though, the overly dogmatic absolutes are somewhat self defeating, heck...why even deal with all this fly fishing stuff. Compared to the holding power of a wide gap hook tipped with bait, or an assortment of treble grabbing hardware all tethered to cable - minute hooks, wispy tippets, and insects all seem like a pointless endeavor to begin with to some... but we choose to do it "our" way.

Last edited by Waterborn; 03-29-2010 at 12:24 PM.. Reason: spellin
Old 03-29-2010, 01:39 PM

I choose to fly fish because it is far more effective then bait or plugs, period. It is not some aesthetic thing as to why I fly fish, it is because it is the most effective way to catch trout. I certainly don't fly fish for crappie, I use minnows or jigs as it is the most effective. Same with the flies I use and how I use them, it is all about maximum tonnage to hand.

With droppers 90% of the strikes will come on the point fly, which may be the reason for your success on the #22. I am not saying a 22 won't work, just saying that IMO it is not necessary to fish dust to catch fish in the Clinch.

Rodney- avg day on the Clinch, over 4 hours I usually will catch 30-40 fish, some days a few less, and some days alot more. But generally, it is non-stop from start to finish. Having fished for eons on the stretches I frequent, I know exactly (like others) where to stand, where my fly needs to hit the water, and most of the time where the strike will come from. It is fairly predictable, and not nearly as fun now as it was 10 years ago. Hence the reason I spend more time smallmouth fishing anymore.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:10 PM

"Having fished for eons on the stretches I frequent, I know exactly (like others) where to stand, where my fly needs to hit the water, and most of the time where the strike will come from. It is fairly predictable, and not nearly as fun now as it was 10 years ago. Hence the reason I spend more time smallmouth fishing anymore."

Good then e-mail me at clinchriverflyfishing@gmail.com and let me know where those runs are and the rocks I need to stand on. Or **** I'll buy a dozen of those **** midges and give ya gas money if you'll meet me at the river and show me.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
"Having fished for eons on the stretches I frequent, I know exactly (like others) where to stand, where my fly needs to hit the water, and most of the time where the strike will come from. It is fairly predictable, and not nearly as fun now as it was 10 years ago. Hence the reason I spend more time smallmouth fishing anymore."

Good then e-mail me at clinchriverflyfishing@gmail.com and let me know where those runs are and the rocks I need to stand on. Or **** I'll buy a dozen of those **** midges and give ya gas money if you'll meet me at the river and show me.
wait for me on the rock wing wall closest to Lewellen Island, I should be there sometime in the next 10 days
Old 03-29-2010, 04:00 PM

Ok will do, you going to make me save my ice cream money, to buy a fly from you too?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:45 PM

Not sure I subscribe to the theory of point fly pole position, but regardless - hate to see some of the thrill is gone for you, but I agree - one can pattern Clinch fish fairly easy...and after a couple of hours of not moving ten feet and couple dozen of fish in hand, I start rooting around in the box to see what else they might eat just for grins...
This year I'd like to try and concentrate some on the rough fish - shad, gar,redhorse,carp,drum, and smallmouth buffalo though I can't say I'll tire of the fins of the Clinch though - as we all fish for different reasons (and rightly so), for me is not about maximum tonnage...
Old 03-29-2010, 08:48 PM

waterwolf
I choose to fly fish because it is far more effective then bait or plugs, period. It is not some aesthetic thing as to why I fly fish, it is because it is the most effective way to catch trout. I certainly don't fly fish for crappie, I use minnows or jigs as it is the most effective. Same with the flies I use and how I use them, it is all about maximum tonnage to hand.
-----
Interesting; I can easily catch 75-100 fish a day on the clinch with a spinning rod, but, that bores the heck out of me. I can and have taken newbies on the Clinch with a spinning rod and the goal is to catch 30-50 fish a day. I have rarely missed that goal. I have a significantly more difficult time catching trout on a fly; but, that is why I do it...

Also, I fish the lakes like I do the rivers; with a fly rod and I actually do extremely better on the lakes in numbers. It seems that midges grow in lakes too...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterborn View Post
Not sure I subscribe to the theory of point fly pole position, but regardless - hate to see some of the thrill is gone for you, but I agree - one can pattern Clinch fish fairly easy...and after a couple of hours of not moving ten feet and couple dozen of fish in hand, I start rooting around in the box to see what else they might eat just for grins...
This year I'd like to try and concentrate some on the rough fish - shad, gar,redhorse,carp,drum, and smallmouth buffalo though I can't say I'll tire of the fins of the Clinch though - as we all fish for different reasons (and rightly so), for me is not about maximum tonnage...
Ask the question of the point fly to others on this forum who fish dropper rigs, I rarely if ever fish 2 flies, but when I have I have noticed that the point fly gets alot more attention then the dropper. But that is really not important.

I understand the desire to see what you can catch them on, but don't play anymore. Kind of sad really, pretty happy to just fish one fly and catch them on that.

Good luck with the buffalo, they are vegetarians and rarely eat flies. You can snag them easily, but I have seen only a handful which actually ate a fly, and then I feel it was just blind luck. The only time I have caught or seen redhorse caught is mid-April on the little P when they are spawing. That is pretty fun if you can catch it right.

I still fish trout quite a bit, but nothing like I used to, I have grown weary with all the people and the lack of ettiquette which I see on the river many days. I like solitude, and after the warmwater rivers get right that is where I spend 99% of my time. I think growing up on the Clinch and spending the better part of 20 years fishing it 5 days a week, just wore me down on the whole trout thing. Add to that 8 years of guiding for trout, and it is just being over exposed to them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
waterwolf
-----
Interesting; I can easily catch 75-100 fish a day on the clinch with a spinning rod, but, that bores the heck out of me. I can and have taken newbies on the Clinch with a spinning rod and the goal is to catch 30-50 fish a day. I have rarely missed that goal. I have a significantly more difficult time catching trout on a fly; but, that is why I do it...

Also, I fish the lakes like I do the rivers; with a fly rod and I actually do extremely better on the lakes in numbers. It seems that midges grow in lakes too...
I would like to sit and watch you catch 100 on spinning tackle. I have never seen fish caught in those numbers in one day on the Clinch on any tackle, especially conventional tackle, and would love to see it happen first hand.

Many moons ago myself, and several others fished above the weir the day after the water turned off for the first time in several months. The fish were absolutely stacked up there, and I guess 6 of us lined up to put on a show right at the canoe launch. One of our other buddies had broken his leg so he stayed on the bank and entertained himself by keeping a tally on how many fish we brought to hand over 6 hours. I think the high mark was 60+ and the avg was in the mid 40's. As I remember it was dang near non-stop a fish on every cast, and many fish b/w 16"-20". I know there are several other forum members here who stood along side me and the crew that day, who could atest to the mauling we dished out. I think the bait boys landed a handful at best on that particular day. Point is, that 100 fish in a day, is a lot of fish, and something I have yet to ever witness. Not saying it isn't possible, just saying it is quite a feat.

I can't handle the lakes, too many people for my tastes. But do agree, that fly fishing on the lakes can be very effective, especially for bigger bass.