Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 03-23-2010, 04:16 PM

Default Aloha from the City of Lenoir

Hello Everyone

New to fly fishing, took a lesson with Chuck. Got to learn a lot, need to learn and do a lot more, and had a blast.

I am originally from South of New Orleans just north of Venice. Some of you may know of that little town. Grew up on the gulf dropping the line to the bottom mainly, never really got into bait fishing here in Tennessee, but always wanted to learn how to fly fish and finally took a lesson.

Still haven't bought much of anything, have a bunch of old bait casting gear to get by with like vests/cases for flies and other odds and ends. Considering some gear. Been lurking for the past few weeks reading old threads.

Was pointed to the TFO NXT kit as a decent beginner kit, but haven't really seen that mentioned here.

I don't want to go out and spend like a mad man on something I decide is not for me, but I also don't want to buy something cheap that will just further turn me away.

Just from lurking: Kinda considering a TFO Pro 8'6" maybe 4 or 5wt and a Ross Flystart 2.

As for line, maybe a Orvis clearwater or SA headstart?

Mainly going to be fishing around the GSMNP/Tellico/Citico/Joyce Kilmer areas

Any opinions or help would be appreciated
Old 03-23-2010, 06:35 PM

Welcome to the board. Look at the TFO's and the cortland 444 lines. I love the ross reels but also look about the lamson konics. Just some thoughts.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:27 PM

Trip--Welcome to the forum. As for equipment, there are lots of balanced outfits available on the market for $150-$250 (that will include rod, reel, line, backing, leader, and perhaps an informative video). I think you'll find it cheaper to buy a complete outfit rather than getting the requisite items piecemeal. I won't recommend a specific company (although I have some thoughts and preferences), but I would suggest that you make a trip down Townsend way and ask for some practical advice and guidance at Little River Outfitters.
As for your intended areas of operation, they focus on the best wild trout fishing east of the Rockies.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 03-24-2010, 08:57 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Casada View Post
I would suggest that you make a trip down Townsend way and ask for some practical advice and guidance at Little River Outfitters.
That's the plan, hoping to get out there this weekend and see a few rods and reels.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:54 PM

Well I stopped in and saw Paula today. She hooked me up with a TFO pro 8'6" 5wt rod and a TFO midge reel with Silver label line and a few flies. Took it out on middle prong for a few hours before I had to head elsewhere.

Anyone wants to get together for some fishing and help a noob on the weekend , post up.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:38 AM

Welcome to the forum
John 3:16