Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 AM

MadisonBoats-
I agree with you in that it is the "challenge" of fly fishing that makes it exciting for me. There is so much involved, such as matching the hatch, or finding the fly that the fish want that day, the cast, the presentation, and fighting the fish to a point of catch & release.

I believe that JFK said, when announcing that we were going to the moon,...."We are doing this not because it is easy, but because it is hard." That sums up my feeling about fly fishing, it is more difficult to do and be successful.

Bill
Old 03-30-2010, 10:02 AM

If I am on the Clinch. I will fish BHPT's and midges, both #18 or #20. I have found two flies that honestly kill on certain parts of the river. One fly in particular is so simple that it really is silly. First is my "Church Fly". On any given day in the spring I will go through 4 or 5 of them because they get so torn up by the fish. The other is called a redrum and as Waterborn will attest...it produces in great numbers.

In the end. Does it really matter what you use as long as you have fun?

~marc~
Old 03-30-2010, 10:51 AM

Hey Waterwolf: How about a build-along for the Midge pattern??
Old 03-30-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwolf View Post
My box is so simple it is laughable. I really carry 2 different patterns to the Clinch. I carry PT's, all with beads of different colors, and in 2 sizes 16's and 18's. There is a small window when 16's work well, and that corresponds with sulfurs. Other then that time period, 18's are the rule.
Wolf,
I remember fishing with John Emert once over on the Clinch, and he said the only fly he ever used was that silly looking BH hairball pattern in #16. But he absolutely killed them using it. Do you remember that fly of his? I was probably tying 8 or 10 dozen of those things a week for the shop. It didn't look like anything and I could tie a dozen in probably 5 minutes. I haven't used it on the Clinch lately, but can definitely vouch for its effectiveness on the Holston and Hiwassee.

I think the most important thing on the Clinch is presentation. Somebody using a 9' 4X leader typically is not going to catch as many fish as somebody using a 12' 6X fluoro leader when drifting nymphs. But if the person using the 12' 6X fluoro rig doesn't know how to properly present the fly and get a dead drift, then I will put my money of the other guy. I think a properly presented fly that may be a size too large is much better than a perfect imitation that doesn't look natural.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 03-30-2010, 03:32 PM

I apologize for 'hijacking' this thread and jumping off topic. I did not mean any insult in my post and to clarify my experience with spin reel fishing on the Clinch; during Spring and Summer my boat(crew 2-3) have consistently caught 75-100 fish in a 6-8 hour day that usually consisted of a drift of the river. I grew up about a mile above Massengill Bridge and my brother and I would ride our bikes down to the river and fish spinning reels almost every day of the Summer. We would always catch around 50 fish each when we were not lure hunting on the banks.

That aspect of fishing bored me over the years and I got out of fishing for some time. However; I am so glad to have discovered fly fishing. I enjoy all the technical aspects of the sport; not just catching fish.

Anyone on this board is welcome to fish with me or drift the Clinch. I may actually take my nephew out this Friday for his spring break and he will be using a spin set up.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-30-2010, 03:41 PM

[Anyone on this board is welcome to fish with me or drift the Clinch. I may actually take my nephew out this Friday for his spring break and he will be using a spin set up.[/QUOTE]

What time and where are you going to flaot from/to on friday? I'm going to float the hyde down Friday, and wouldn't mind the company beside me on the way down.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodonthefly View Post
[Anyone on this board is welcome to fish with me or drift the Clinch. I may actually take my nephew out this Friday for his spring break and he will be using a spin set up.
What time and where are you going to flaot from/to on friday? I'm going to float the hyde down Friday, and wouldn't mind the company beside me on the way down.[/QUOTE]

Not sure Rod. It will depend on my nephew's schedule. He is bringing a friend along too. I will try and update you when I find out.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-30-2010, 07:20 PM

Redrum...Redrum... Redrum...okay insert your own The Shining moment here... that fly can save a slow day, works great on the Clinch and is a killer on the Caney...gee Marc, who took that cool pic of your avatar

Wolf, I've often heard about the burnout - some of my guide buddies and those in the industry talk about there sometimes being too much of a good thing... at any rate, I hear you about the solitude - I find myself in the non tourist areas of the park more and more for that very reason. I'd don't mind a like minded buddy anytime, but more often that not - I'm solo for all the same reasons.
I've only the one buffalo, now whether it was a million to one shot or not (or I just happen to snag him square in the lips)- the fly was in the corner of his mouth - sometimes it better be lucky than good I suppose, but I've gotta give it another go simply to satisfy my curiousity. Since I'm only a few minutes from the lower little pig, I'll have plenty of opportunities to look stupid trying some grass flies - guess will see. I've heard the same about the redhorse, I'm gonna have to hit up Gary on them... One of the reasons I love this area though - more water and species to chase than one can shake a rod at...

Travis - looks as though I've got to go house hunting this Friday so the great Fotophishing adventure will have to be postpone yet again - sorry about that...I'll be in St. Augustine all next week (hoping to score something red-ish), but that week after lets see about that Friday...
Old 03-30-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemEAngler View Post
Wolf,
I remember fishing with John Emert once over on the Clinch, and he said the only fly he ever used was that silly looking BH hairball pattern in #16. But he absolutely killed them using it. Do you remember that fly of his? I was probably tying 8 or 10 dozen of those things a week for the shop. It didn't look like anything and I could tie a dozen in probably 5 minutes. I haven't used it on the Clinch lately, but can definitely vouch for its effectiveness on the Holston and Hiwassee.

I think the most important thing on the Clinch is presentation. Somebody using a 9' 4X leader typically is not going to catch as many fish as somebody using a 12' 6X fluoro leader when drifting nymphs. But if the person using the 12' 6X fluoro rig doesn't know how to properly present the fly and get a dead drift, then I will put my money of the other guy. I think a properly presented fly that may be a size too large is much better than a perfect imitation that doesn't look natural.

Pine Squirrel was the name of that fly I do believe, it was a lint ball

I absolutely agree on the latter, I usually fish 5x flouro, rarely do I have to drop to 6x, it is all about where and how things are done like you said.