Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-31-2010, 08:08 AM

Question Backcountry Attire

Letís say youíre going on a trip into the backcountry to fish for 4 days with highs from the 60ís-70ís and lows in the 30-40 degree range. What type of clothing and how many changes of clothes would be good? Do you just take one change of clothes and rinse the other out and hang dry and wear the next day? Iím taking my first backcountry trip soon and I donít want to over-pack but I also donít want to under-pack either. Feel free to be very detailed.
John 3:16
Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 AM

For 3 nights I would wear in one pair of convertible nylon pants. Outside of that I would wear in a synthetic shirt (i have a camo one for fishing). In my bag I have a rain jacket and rain pants also have one other light shirt in my bag and a pair of smartwool top and bottom long johns for any cold. Also I wear in a pair of smartwool socks and have 1 other pair in my pack. Oh yeah and maybe one other pair of underwear depending on how socialable I feel haha. I will often wear what I hike in wearing the whole time and not have lots of changes of clothes except for the last day when I don a fresh shirt. It's the backcountry so I always think you are supposed to be dirty and unkept ha. Personally I wouldn't wash my pants the hiking nylon ones dont seem to get too stinky. I can make 2 shirts stretch 4 days without washing either. I do bring a small travel deodorant though. Also if my nylon pants got soaked i would just switch to the rain pants makes a perfect backup.

Done this many times and this past weeked I had exactly this setup when it got down to about 30 at cs 11 on Saturday night. I was cold wearing my smartwool top and bottom long johns, nylon pants, shirt, and rain jacket. Got a bit uncomfortable but nothing that jumping in the sleeping bag couldn't fix very easily.

Last edited by Crockett; 03-31-2010 at 09:42 AM..
Old 03-31-2010, 09:26 AM

Given those temperatures and uncertain weather conditions...
My clothing for 4-5 days would be as follows:
-Softshell tech hiking pants
-2 pairs Capilene midweight bottoms
-Capilene silkweight longsleeve top
-1 Polartech long sleeve shirt
-Montbell Alpine Light Down Jacket
-3 pairs Wigwam Light Hiker socks
-1 pair Heavy Cushion Smartwool hiking socks
-2 pairs Capilene silkweight boxers
-2 pairs of trunk style shorts (no cotton)
-2 wicking short sleeve tops
-GoreTex Paclite rain jacket

Socks are my most important item. I have tested almost every brand and style and won't skimp on quality or quantity.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:28 AM

I'd take four layers for up top: maximum 2 t-shirts, a zip neck wool or synthetic top, warm fleece/down/synthetic vest, and a gore tex jacket. I'd possibly also take a lightweight button up shirt for hiking when a wool shirt is too warm but a t-shirt is too cool.

and four layers for the bottom: maximum 2 pairs of boxers, lightweight tights/long underwear bottoms (I prefer Capilene), hiking pants (no cotton!), and gore tex pants (if you got 'em... if you don't have any, I'd take a second pair of hiking pants).

Throw in two pairs of socks, a beanie, and your lucky fishing hat and you'd be set for anything the Smokies could throw at you in the spring time.

Also, I like to bring along a fresh pair of jeans, boxers, a t-shirt, and some flip flops, which I leave in the car to change into after it's all over. Fresh clothes after a few days in the woods feel almost as good as a cold beer after a long hike! Especially if you're soggy.

Grannyknot is dead on about the socks... it ain't worth skimping in that department, and those smartwool hiking socks are dominator. Also, never pack anything cotton. That is the worst possible back country fabric ever.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:46 AM

Thanks for all the info fellas! I'm with you on the "no cotton" rule. I have learned this important rule from my hunting hobby. I really appreciate the details. I'll be in good shape now. Thanks!

I plan to wear my Korker Cross Current boots with the interchangeable soles for hiking and fishing and take a pair of crocs for my camp shoes.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:59 AM

Sounds like a solid plan. How are those boots for hiking? Do you just wear your normal hiking socks on the way in and then slip on your waders when you get to where you wanna fish? Also, are you not concerned about hiking out in wet boots?
Old 03-31-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
Sounds like a solid plan. How are those boots for hiking? Do you just wear your normal hiking socks on the way in and then slip on your waders when you get to where you wanna fish? Also, are you not concerned about hiking out in wet boots?
I just got the Korkers last summer. I did one moderate hike with them wet (4.5 miles) and had no problems at all. I used them other times with wet hikes of lesser distances with no issues. I really like their versatility. The boots dry and vent well. I only used them wet wading. I used them once earlier this month with waders but no hiking was involved and they did great.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:12 PM

You know, I hear this "no cotton" thing all the time and I have never, ever had a problem wearing cotton when camping, hiking or fishing. Sure, if you get it wet it takes forever to dry. Sure, it doesn't "wick" away moisture, and sure it's not the best insulator by a long shot. Sure, you could end up standing naked around a fire while other campers walk by and giggle at you.

But, you're not talking hiking the full length of the AT here, you're talking about a couple of nights in the woods. Maybe the "no cotton" thing is for all you city-slickers or something, I dunno. If you can't stand being cold and wet for a day or two, then all that fancy high-dollar gear is what you need. I'm not about to tell you that I enjoy being cold and wet, but it's not going to kill me - not in the Smokies in late spring or summer. OK, on the one in a million chance there is a snow storm and the temps drop to 10 degrees and you stay wet for two days then yes, I suppose it could kill you. But if you don't know how to make a fire, even in damp conditions and without matches, you really have a bigger problem than what material your clothes should be made out of, don't you?

And the one thing that you have to consider is whether or not you're prone to get cold easily. I hike and fish with a fellow who gets cold feet. Mine never get cold. Matter of fact, I hardly ever get cold at all. Now, if I get wet in the rain and it's 50 degrees, yeah. But for a 65 degree hike without the rain, you couldn't drag me into a pair of long pants, nylon or otherwise. I'm just hot natured ( and fat) and you may be too. Or you're skinny as a rail and freeze to death. Just know that alot depends on you, not just what you wear. ( Again, not talking about freezing to death or hypothermia literally, just talking about being uncomfortable.)

So, from a purely non-super-fabric perspective here's what I would take for temps in the 30'2-40's at night.

1. A warm sleeping bag rated to 0 degrees.
2. At least some knowledge of how to start a fire in less than ideal conditions, and the tools to make it happen.
3.A warm hat
4.some socks that aren't cotton - here's the one place I think you really need something that's not cotton. If you're feet get cold at night, you'll be miserable with wet socks. You'd be better taking them off, for that matter.
5.The shirt I'm wearing and the shorts on my butt.
6.Two extra pairs of underwear. ( uh -huh, ......cotton. Because you just never know when you're going to run across that rattler or momma bear with cubs and need that extra pair.
7.One pair of sweats. Yes, cotton.
8.One long sleeve shirt. Yep. you guessed it. Cotton.
9.One light rain jacket( waterproof, and not cotton )
10.One medium weight pull over jacket type thing. Again, ................cotton.

Now, I know to alot of folks, the above sounds like crazy-talk. And if you are used to being comfortable all the time, and having heated seats in the car, $400 fly rods and chilled wine, then I suppose that would be crazy to you. But when you're walking in the woods, pack on and headed to the creek, you're gear shouldn't get wet. When you get to camp, you set up a tarp over your tent. Those affordable cotton clothes you brought should never get wet in the first place, and if they do you build a fire and dry them out. How you do that is up to you. ( I hope you don't think a cardboard twinkies box and a Bic lighter will do the trick when everything around you is "seemingly" wet. It's east enough to find info on the interwebz about how to survive in the wilds. Just make sure you don't believe everything you read out there, ok?)

The thing is, if you're reading the thread here and you're thinking that " Man, I can't do this BC thing because I don't have $300-$1000 to put into all this high-tech gear"( one high-tech jacket and pants set can set you back $300) then my post is for you - you don't NEED it.

Sure, it would make things easier on you and if everything you brought out there did get wet, it would dry out faster and you'd be more comfortable sooner. But if you're looking for a nice, comfortable, civilized few days away from the city, then backpacking into the wilds may not be your thing.( Maybe car camping is?)

I've known people that it wasn't their thing and they did it anyway just to get to the fish! Nothing wrong with that! And there's nothing wrong with having all that fancy gear and high-tech fabrics, either. Don't misunderstand me there.

It's just that I find it all a bit unnecessary for the types of trips most BC fishermen take in the late spring and summer. Wintertime would be a whole other game and there is a place for high-tech gear and specialized garments...but a spring trip into the smokies? Be prepared to be a little wet and a little uncomfortable! It's part of the experience and in some way, shape or form it's going to happen no matter what you pack in!

So enjoy your spring, get out there and enjoy the park. Just don't think you HAVE to spend a small fortune to do it. If you're up to a little unpleasant cold and wet. The fish won't care, and there's nothing like a spring thunderstorm rolling through the southern Blue Ridge.

* The author of this post has over 20 years of camping experience, nearly 10 years of hiking experience, and at least 5 years experience at being wet in the woods. Maybe some $100 pants would've had that down to 2.5 years, but then that's $100 I spent on flies and flyline. Also, the author of this post has spent exactly one night stranded on the Blue Ridge Parkway, after hiking 10 miles over creekbeds, through the woods with no trails and the last 2 miles in the dark, dehydrated and in pain from full muscle rebellion. This is to say that when you have to endure, you can endure far more than you ever thought you could. Humans these days seldom have need to push ourselves to the breaking point, although sometimes at work it feels like we might go over the edge and "nut up." You can do far more, go further, survive longer, and endure better than you think.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:46 PM

You can get polyester workout type clothes just as cheap as cotton at target or wally world no need to pay out big bucks at all. It's not hi-tech, newfangled, or fancy, folks up here have been wearing it for years hehe. Glad the cotton perspective is now represented here though and I will agree that you probably won't die if you just wear cotton. I often wear cotton t-shirts cause they are softer than polyester and the wuss in me likes the softness of cotton better personally. If I were more of a man then I could wear polyester without it itching me...
Old 03-31-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owl View Post
You know, I hear this "no cotton" thing all the time and I have never, ever had a problem wearing cotton when camping, hiking or fishing. Sure, if you get it wet it takes forever to dry. Sure, it doesn't "wick" away moisture, and sure it's not the best insulator by a long shot. Sure, you could end up standing naked around a fire while other campers walk by and giggle at you.

But, you're not talking hiking the full length of the AT here, you're talking about a couple of nights in the woods. Maybe the "no cotton" thing is for all you city-slickers or something, I dunno. If you can't stand being cold and wet for a day or two, then all that fancy high-dollar gear is what you need. I'm not about to tell you that I enjoy being cold and wet, but it's not going to kill me - not in the Smokies in late spring or summer. OK, on the one in a million chance there is a snow storm and the temps drop to 10 degrees and you stay wet for two days then yes, I suppose it could kill you. But if you don't know how to make a fire, even in damp conditions and without matches, you really have a bigger problem than what material your clothes should be made out of, don't you?

And the one thing that you have to consider is whether or not you're prone to get cold easily. I hike and fish with a fellow who gets cold feet. Mine never get cold. Matter of fact, I hardly ever get cold at all. Now, if I get wet in the rain and it's 50 degrees, yeah. But for a 65 degree hike without the rain, you couldn't drag me into a pair of long pants, nylon or otherwise. I'm just hot natured ( and fat) and you may be too. Or you're skinny as a rail and freeze to death. Just know that alot depends on you, not just what you wear. ( Again, not talking about freezing to death or hypothermia literally, just talking about being uncomfortable.)

So, from a purely non-super-fabric perspective here's what I would take for temps in the 30'2-40's at night.

1. A warm sleeping bag rated to 0 degrees.
2. At least some knowledge of how to start a fire in less than ideal conditions, and the tools to make it happen.
3.A warm hat
4.some socks that aren't cotton - here's the one place I think you really need something that's not cotton. If you're feet get cold at night, you'll be miserable with wet socks. You'd be better taking them off, for that matter.
5.The shirt I'm wearing and the shorts on my butt.
6.Two extra pairs of underwear. ( uh -huh, ......cotton. Because you just never know when you're going to run across that rattler or momma bear with cubs and need that extra pair.
7.One pair of sweats. Yes, cotton.
8.One long sleeve shirt. Yep. you guessed it. Cotton.
9.One light rain jacket( waterproof, and not cotton )
10.One medium weight pull over jacket type thing. Again, ................cotton.

Now, I know to alot of folks, the above sounds like crazy-talk. And if you are used to being comfortable all the time, and having heated seats in the car, $400 fly rods and chilled wine, then I suppose that would be crazy to you. But when you're walking in the woods, pack on and headed to the creek, you're gear shouldn't get wet. When you get to camp, you set up a tarp over your tent. Those affordable cotton clothes you brought should never get wet in the first place, and if they do you build a fire and dry them out. How you do that is up to you. ( I hope you don't think a cardboard twinkies box and a Bic lighter will do the trick when everything around you is "seemingly" wet. It's east enough to find info on the interwebz about how to survive in the wilds. Just make sure you don't believe everything you read out there, ok?)

The thing is, if you're reading the thread here and you're thinking that " Man, I can't do this BC thing because I don't have $300-$1000 to put into all this high-tech gear"( one high-tech jacket and pants set can set you back $300) then my post is for you - you don't NEED it.

Sure, it would make things easier on you and if everything you brought out there did get wet, it would dry out faster and you'd be more comfortable sooner. But if you're looking for a nice, comfortable, civilized few days away from the city, then backpacking into the wilds may not be your thing.( Maybe car camping is?)

I've known people that it wasn't their thing and they did it anyway just to get to the fish! Nothing wrong with that! And there's nothing wrong with having all that fancy gear and high-tech fabrics, either. Don't misunderstand me there.

It's just that I find it all a bit unnecessary for the types of trips most BC fishermen take in the late spring and summer. Wintertime would be a whole other game and there is a place for high-tech gear and specialized garments...but a spring trip into the smokies? Be prepared to be a little wet and a little uncomfortable! It's part of the experience and in some way, shape or form it's going to happen no matter what you pack in!

So enjoy your spring, get out there and enjoy the park. Just don't think you HAVE to spend a small fortune to do it. If you're up to a little unpleasant cold and wet. The fish won't care, and there's nothing like a spring thunderstorm rolling through the southern Blue Ridge.

* The author of this post has over 20 years of camping experience, nearly 10 years of hiking experience, and at least 5 years experience at being wet in the woods. Maybe some $100 pants would've had that down to 2.5 years, but then that's $100 I spent on flies and flyline. Also, the author of this post has spent exactly one night stranded on the Blue Ridge Parkway, after hiking 10 miles over creekbeds, through the woods with no trails and the last 2 miles in the dark, dehydrated and in pain from full muscle rebellion. This is to say that when you have to endure, you can endure far more than you ever thought you could. Humans these days seldom have need to push ourselves to the breaking point, although sometimes at work it feels like we might go over the edge and "nut up." You can do far more, go further, survive longer, and endure better than you think.
Owl - Thanks for your input. I grew up in the woods and couldn't be labeled a "city slicker", even by the folks from yesteryear. I'm not new to camping, or fishing, or hiking, or building fires from rain-soaked material, or the outdoors in general, but, I am new to backpacking and trout fishing. My main goal was just to find out what clothes most other take on these type trips. I've always been a fan of learning from others mistakes before I make them myself. I don't plan on going out and buying anything anyone has listed here but yet plan to take note of what garments are mentioned and match those with what I currently own. Just trying to get ahead in the learning curve. I'm glad we have this forum to be able to help each other out. I may not have much knowledge on backpacking and trout fishing but I am glad to help others out with what I know on the other subjects listed above. Thanks again for your help