Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-31-2010, 03:12 PM

I think the one thing I should have highlighted in my post is.....
Quote:
My clothing for 4-5 days would be as follows
As far as "expensive city slicker gear"....I could care less if someone else's gear consisted of a deerskin tipi, their moms old jazzercise clothes, and a black trashbag.
Old 03-31-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
I think the one thing I should have highlighted in my post is.....

As far as "expensive city slicker gear"....I could care less if someone else's gear consisted of a deerskin tipi, their moms old jazzercise clothes, and a black trashbag.
Now that's funny!
John 3:16
Old 03-31-2010, 09:32 PM

Jazzer......a black trashba....hey...wait a minute!

You've seen me in the park, haven't you!? LOL

As I said, there's nothin' wrong with having any of that "expensive high-tech gear." Nothing at all.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:00 PM

Default Wet & Cold

It doesn't have to be freezing to get hypothermia if you are wet. I think around 50 degrees can do it. If that starts to happen you may not have enough sense/ coordination to build a fire.

Mike
Old 04-01-2010, 12:35 AM

The fact is that if you fall in the creek or get caught in a rainstorm wearing cotton, it will not dry, and it will not keep you warm. It doesn't take a snowstorm and 0 degrees to get someone in real trouble in the woods.

I'm not saying you have to buy high end patagonia gear or anything, just have some sense. Bring along a wool sweater or some polypro longjohns. At the very least have a good warm sleeping bag.

Personally I wear nylon pants and shirt, and bring along wool longjohns and a raincoat. I also wear wool socks.

Last edited by Mundele; 04-01-2010 at 07:09 AM..
Old 04-01-2010, 08:56 AM

There's nothing like a good gear debate! I personally take pride in having good solid gear that performs efficiently and reliably... including my clothing, fishing tackle, bikes, and even my Subaru

In the end, it's all about connecting with nature, and one of my favorite ways to do that is with rod in hand and a fish on the line.... wearing mom's old jazzercise pants under my waders.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:48 PM

I always take backpacking 2 to 3 days

2 socks smartwool add 1 pair for each extra day
2 ex officio underware breifs
mid weight fleece pants
mid weight fleece jacket
light weight capaline long underware top and bottom
gortext shell jaacket
rain pants
2 short sleeve shorts not cotton
ex officio zip off pants
1 pair nylon shorts
1 pair boxer shorts

this is what I take in summer and winter if I get cold I can wear it all if I have to but it never gets that bad.

collect hiking cloths a littlr at a time and check out campmor.com or siera trading post they have great deals on last years cool cloths.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:01 AM

I don't know about you but I have had plenty of wool socks and wool gloves that have gotten wet and I couldn't wait to get them off and put on a dry pair. I have yet to find this magical pair of wool anything that keeps me warm when it's wet. I've never thought, hey I'm cold, I'll just put on a wool suit and jump in the river so I can warm up.

I wear what I have in my closet. I do have some nice rain gear because I think staying dry is the main thing. I hike in shorts, jeans or carharts, wear t-shirts, long or short, maybe a flannel. I usually have a fleece and a tobbogan and a sleeping bag rated to 40 degrees. I have rarely been cold even when it dips below freezing. It should be fairly warm inside your tent if your tent is properly sized for you. I also generally wear the same clothes almost the entire trip unless I get completely soaked in sweat while hiking. I always have a change of clothes in the pack and another clean set of clothes in the truck for the ride home. I'm all for nice gear if you can afford it but it isn't necessary. For me, light is the key and comfort is waiting back at home and Whiskey is my favorite set of winter clothes.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:46 AM

I don't think anyone ever claimed that Wool Socks repel water like a peice of vinyl siding. If you put on a pair of wool socks and jump in the water they are gonna get wet. One of the many benefits come in the time it takes for them to fully dry.

Next time you go out, take a cotton sock and a wool sock, dip them into the river, then lay them on your tent or makeshift clothes line.

For hiking and general use, I acutally prefer a synthetic blend...
http://www.wigwam.com/Products/Cool-...3-001d091bb843 ......made in the USA.

For cold weather & cold water I like a merino wool sock....
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorge.../SWL0015M.html

Each to his own I guess.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:07 AM

I was a fan of the Smartwool sock, but Bass Pro sells a Redhead Lifetime sock of merino wool that is as good as the Smartwool, wears longer and is half the price. regards, Silvercreek