Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fishing Classic Rods and Gear

Old 03-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Had'nt seen it before either but looks good on the dark cane, now to find a medalist or old ocean city reel. Seen some medalist really churched up on another site.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:14 AM

I remember seeing that rod or another similar that was refinished and had the multi-color wraps but I just can't remember where. It is definately different.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:23 AM

Have you gave any thought to a Orvis CFO english make. I have one that I use on my cane rod and it just sets that rod off IMHO. I went through the same thoughts you are going through. I might try to post a photo of mine and let you see what I mean. I would not go with one of the new korean made ones just for the nastalgia but ht english ones I would.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:48 AM

Here are the photos that I said I would try and post. Notice the different look in the older english made cfo than the new ones.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:33 AM

Pretty set up. I agree the older English made reels look much better. Of course I've been accused of being an anachronistic ol' fart, event though I'm only 30 something.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 AM

First fish on the new old 'boo. Caught on the South Platte. Casts like a gun of a 6wt, got all the line out yesterday and fights like a 1 wt. Man that thing is a blast. Also tried the nymph tip, works good a little stiffer than I expected. Reel is an old Scientific Angler made by Hardy even bears the hardy Logo and stamped made in England (sorry I'm a Hardy nut). Reel is a carbon copy of the Hardy Viscount. Tried the Pflueggers and Ocean City reels just too light to balance it. Poor folks on E-bay probably thought I was nut asking them to weigh the reels. Many more reports to follow, I have found my new favorite big water, big fish rod rod.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:46 AM

That's the fun of bambo. Casts a heavy line and lets you feel the fight all the way to the net. Nice find on the reel. It looks like a great setup. I wasn't aware that Hardy ever made reels for SA.
Old 04-04-2010, 07:55 AM

Nice looking rod. I got my rod from Walter back in December. Now if I just didn't have to work I could fish more!!!