Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-16-2010, 01:17 PM

Default Last Minute Trip to Deep Creek

I am making a last minute trip to Deep Creek this weekend. We will be staying in the campground, couldn't get any time off to make it worthwhile to hike in, any suggestions on how far to go up prior to starting to fish?

John
Old 04-16-2010, 02:10 PM

John--Much depends on how far you are willing to walk. Forget the first half mile if it is warm, because there will be tubers. If you have the energy, a great bet is to walk in about 2.2 miles and spend the day fishing the Bumgardner Bend. It's a haul but great fishing. If there are anglers everywhere and you don't mind little water and tight places, consider Indian Creek.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 04-16-2010, 04:35 PM

Thanks Jim, much appreciated. I will probably try and give both of those a try.

John
Old 04-16-2010, 09:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

John, I caught an 11" brown right at the first bridge I think that's about a mile but I seen a lot of nice looking water before that I want to fish. Once you get to 60 it's done til you get farther up the trail. Some nice water on the creek! Good luck and post some pics!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:12 PM

spotlight--I'm not sure what you mean by "once you get to 60 it's done . . ." I'm assuming you mean there's no ready trail access, and that is correct. However, the section which begins at Bumgardner Branch campsite, known as the Bumgardner Bend, is actually one of the most attractive stretches of water on the entire stream. It is fairly rugged and involves the better part of a day of fishing, but I recommend spending such a day at some point. Also, the pool at the lower end of the Bend, right behind the campsite, is arguably the finest hole in all of Deep Creek. One memorable day in my teens I caught a limit of rainbows there (when the limit was seven fish) without ever moving from my position. The smallest fish would have gone at least a foot. I got there hiking out from a trip to the Bryson Place and, having been caught in a thunderstorm while on the trail, figured fishing would be really active. They were, and for all the beauty of that creel full of fish, in my mind's eye I still see one bigger than any of them leaping three times after having snapped my tippet as if it was a spider web.
Jim Casada
Jim Casada
Old 04-17-2010, 09:45 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Jim I have your book.....I love the part about Deep Creek I meant from a hiking up from the campground standpoint. And if you were to start fishing at 60 and go up...you had either better be a really good climber....straight up hill or be prepared for a really long river walk well around that bend to get out of there or backtrack. I have yet to fish that part of the creek for that very reason. How long would you say it takes to go around that bend fishing until there is an easy spot to get back on the trail?

I will be staying at the campground in 2 weeks I can't wait to fish all the water below that second bridge I seen some nice water there I just hope it's still on the cool side for the tubers....And just for kicks so far from the water I have fished in the park Deep Creek has been the most productive I have been to Bryson Place 2 times this year I love that area!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:07 AM

Spotlight--You have to fish all the way around the Bumgardner Bend before getting back to the trail is really feasible. That involves six or seven hours of fishing time at my pace, and I move fairly quickly upstream. The walk back to campsite 60 isn't all that bad--a steep climb for a few hundred yards and then it's downhill the rest of the way. Maybe a mile or slightly more in all. The trail sort of cuts across the "Bend" somewhat similar to the situation with the horseshoe on Abrams Creek. At one point, well in the past, there was a ford (one of 15 in all) at the upper end of the Bend, and that's the first really easy place to get out. However, for those who don't mind bushwhacking a couple of hundred yards, it is possible to drop down from the trail to the upper end of the bend and fish it. I think it's the best water in the bend. Twothirds of the way around the trail from Camsite 60 to the upper end of the Bend there's a spring on the right side of the trail (as you are heading upstream). If you drop down into the woods at that point and make your way to the creek, you will come out maybe 50 yards above a lovely pool. It is worth making your way downstream to fish it, then start working your way upstream on the upper end of the Bend.
I find it interesting that you say Deep Creek has been the most productive water you have fished in the Park. As my home water it is my favorite stream, but it so heavily leans to the brown trout sid these days that I don't always find it as productive as streams such as the West Prong of the Little Pigeon, where it is almost always possible to catch a bunch of 'bows.
Jim Casada
Old 04-19-2010, 09:07 AM

Jim,
Thanks for the information and we had a really nice trip. We got to the campground at Deep Creek about 1 am Saturday. Got up at 7 and hiked to campsite 60 where we started fishing. We fished from there past 59. We caught some nice rainbows, kept 6 that were from 8-10 inches. All of them were really fat and in great shape. Only caught a couple of small browns on day 1. On day two fished from around the loop trail and up. We kept another 4 fish, including one that Larry caught that was almost 11 inches. I caught about a 7 inch brown. I also fished for 20 minutes up Indian creek, caught one 7 inch rainbow and missed two others. The trip was too short, but worth it.

Larry's rainbow

Part of dinner!

The fishing was particularly good in the morning, but got slower in the afternoon. We caught a few on dry flies, missed 4 times that many. The majority of the fish came on the PT dropper, with or without the bead head. All and all a productive trip.

John