Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-16-2010, 09:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight
Default Little River 4-16-10

Man what a day I got to the river about 1:00PM bright and sunny light breeze started with a dry fly and not even one rise! never even seen a fish rise.....I am a train wreck with nymphing because I have no clue how to do it but I knew I had to try something different. So I dropped some sort of midge off a elk hair caddis probably a #10 maybe 12 and WOW to my surprise it worked! I noticed that with the nymph the fish seem to be of better quality size wise I may just have to try it again.

I caught 4 nice fish in one run after about 4:30 action just stopped and I seen no hatches at all, the highlight of the day was meeting David Knapp at the Subway in Townsend great guy I enjoyed chatting with him, here are the pictures from today. I am curious if anyone else had any luck up there today fishing was tough I thought.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 PM

Very nice fish. Looks like a fun day.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:48 PM

Default middle prong of Little River yesterday

Nice pictures and good subjects! I fished the middle prong yesterday and like you, saw little surface activity at noon. Fished a double nymph rig till around 5 PM and netted a few Rainbows but it was slow. All were kinda small; one may have been 9 inches at best. Good news is I only saw one other soul fishing. Love that solitude.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:14 PM

I seen a father and son at one pullout and one guy I stopped to talk to on the way out it was a very peaceful day on the river just strikes me as kinda funny that there were not many rising fish I can do the dry fly fishing but when it comes to nymphs a whole different story........but I am hard headed I will learn I am still amazed of what I managed today because I really have no clue just got lucky I guess.

I want to know where are all these so called Spring mega hatches I seen one so far on Deep Creek 3 weeks ago and it was awesome! the were sipping bugs at my knee caps.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:53 PM

Nice fish spotlight. I fished Middle Prong yesterday, up high, 3:30 - 6:30. Very little activity. Had planned to start with caddis, but guy on the way up said he was catching a few with Adams, tried that, got one, switched to caddis, got one, both small, tied on a BHPT dropper, nothing. But a nice day!
Old 04-18-2010, 04:36 PM

I just got back from my weekend trip. Friday was definitely tough for dries. I fished below Elkmont in the early afternoon. I had one take and miss and hooked one briefly but it got away. Saw a couple rises from small fish.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:31 PM

This is a tough period for hatches. We're transitioning to the evening bugs.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:36 AM

I've had trouble in the afternoons too. I went to the lower elevations on the Little river just inside the park last Wednesday and didn't see a single rise. I was chunkin' and duckin' heavy weighted streamers hoping for a big one but had no luck.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotlight View Post
I can do the dry fly fishing but when it comes to nymphs a whole different story........
Spotlight, it's a lot easier than you think, and it sounds like you probably were nymphing just fine. The biggest factors are deciding:
- how deep to fish (that's where you decide if you want a bead head or not... some people also add some tiny split shot to get real deep. If you are fishing a dropper, you also need to think about how much line you need)
- what nymph to fish (there are about 5 or 6 that are very common and you always want to have in your fly box both with and without bead heads... among them: pheasant tale, hare's ear, prince, tellico, green weenie)

Use a dry fly with a dropper and your dry fly is your strike indicator. Fish a single nymph with a strike indicator, or fish a double nymph setup with a strike indicator. There's a million kinds of strike indicator, so just experiment and figure out the ones that you like best. I like the little stick on ones. Some of my buddies exclusively use yarn.

As far as drift, treat that strike indicator just like you would a dry fly. If your strike indicator is drifting good, so is your nymph. That's really all you need to know. Everything else just comes with experience!

When I'm fishing the really small water, I'll often fish something that is really easy to see like a green weenie and not even use a strike indicator just to hone those skills as well. Some of the really good old timers don't need an indicator at all, but I'm far from that league

And by the way, I never fish the Park without a nymph on! Why just fish a dry when you can fish both?
Old 04-19-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
Spotlight, it's a lot easier than you think, and it sounds like you probably were nymphing just fine. The biggest factors are deciding:
- how deep to fish (that's where you decide if you want a bead head or not... some people also add some tiny split shot to get real deep. If you are fishing a dropper, you also need to think about how much line you need)
- what nymph to fish (there are about 5 or 6 that are very common and you always want to have in your fly box both with and without bead heads... among them: pheasant tale, hare's ear, prince, tellico, green weenie)

Use a dry fly with a dropper and your dry fly is your strike indicator. Fish a single nymph with a strike indicator, or fish a double nymph setup with a strike indicator. There's a million kinds of strike indicator, so just experiment and figure out the ones that you like best. I like the little stick on ones. Some of my buddies exclusively use yarn.

As far as drift, treat that strike indicator just like you would a dry fly. If your strike indicator is drifting good, so is your nymph. That's really all you need to know. Everything else just comes with experience!

When I'm fishing the really small water, I'll often fish something that is really easy to see like a green weenie and not even use a strike indicator just to hone those skills as well. Some of the really good old timers don't need an indicator at all, but I'm far from that league

And by the way, I never fish the Park without a nymph on! Why just fish a dry when you can fish both?
Man those are all good tips thanks!