Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-18-2010, 07:57 PM

Default Dunns Creek/ back yard

Dunns Creek runs through my back yard approximately 1.5 miles below where it leaves GSMNP. TWRA stopped stocking here several years ago, and the drought a couple years wiped out all the old remaining stockers. I started in my back yard and fished approximately 500yds upstream this evening. I lost one wild bow that would have been pushing 8 inches. Here are pics of the four 4-6 inchers I caught. (Dunns Creek is in Sevier County, just a few hundred yards from the Cocke County line on US321 if anyone is wondering.)

Old 04-18-2010, 10:26 PM

Great post, twj! Boy, am I envious of your location.

The Park Fisheries indicate brook trout inhabit Dunns Creek just inside the Park. Are you aware how far up rainbows can get? Are there falls separating the species?

JF
Old 04-18-2010, 10:41 PM

There are no falls seperating them. I have caught bows a half mile or so up in the park. It is one of the streams that was recently reopened. Since I am off work Monday and Tuesday, I think I may see how far up the rainbows do go on Tuesday. I have never fished Deep Creek and plan to try it tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:07 AM

I am trying to imagine what life would be like if a trout stream ran thru my back yard.....Of course I'd be unemployed, fired for missing work due to fishing, divorced for being AWOL fishing, cited for yard with 2 foot tall grass (can't mow when busy fishing).....
Old 04-19-2010, 01:18 PM

Default Back Yard Trout

Barbara: Everything you said was absolutely right, but what a way to go. Skip
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 PM

Smile Rainbows as far up as I've fished

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFred View Post
Great post, twj! Boy, am I envious of your location.

The Park Fisheries indicate brook trout inhabit Dunns Creek just inside the Park. Are you aware how far up rainbows can get? Are there falls separating the species?

JF
Maybe Fcfly can chime in with some better beta as he is much more familiar with this creek. I fished from Park entrance up to several hundred yards above Old settlers trail. More rainbow than brookies. Looks to be a stream that would be easily flooded. Also hit it upstream where it parallels Indian Creek. I prefer the hotter sister creek nextdoor! Not a bad place to call home though.