Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 PM

Default Fishing Report 4-12 through 4-18

Rather than choke up the board with the photos, I posted the report on my blog.

Anyone interested in seeing it the link is:
http://kyflyfishguy.blogspot.com/201...-april-14.html

My son and I had a great time, caught some fish, landed our first Smoky Mountain brookies, ate some good food and I got to spend some quality time with my teen age son. All-in-all, a great trip.

Jeff
Old 04-20-2010, 09:29 AM

Nice report. Lots of great photos and a good experience. Got me cracking up!

"Dad, why is it all the women with butts as wide as the tailgate on a Ford pickup truck think they have to wear really short shorts?" LMAO!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlito View Post
Nice report. Lots of great photos and a good experience. Got me cracking up!

"Dad, why is it all the women with butts as wide as the tailgate on a Ford pickup truck think they have to wear really short shorts?" LMAO!
Carlito,
It was a real question asked by my 15 year old son. We spent one evening in Gatlinburg and some of the outfits were "interesting" to say the least. Then we spent a couple hours swimming at the "Y" and there were some more interesting sights. It made the solitude of the streams even more welcome.

The only answer I could give him was that this was one of the mysteries of life to which I have no answer.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:41 PM

Nice report!

I probably took photos of that same group of columbine last year...not much room along the road there.

Chris
Old 04-20-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVBrookie View Post
Nice report!

I probably took photos of that same group of columbine last year...not much room along the road there.

Chris
It is a pretty little patch of columbine and I sure do understand taking the photos. They are beautiful flowers. The lady really put a scare into me though. I missed her by about 6". At 35mph I don't think it could have possibly ended well had she taken another step back. There were some overhangs and the curve is blind. I was on her before I could have reacted. I honestly don't think she has a clue how close she came to my car as she stepped back. It would have been a tragic end to a fishing trip and a photography trip. I thank God that he let me miss her.

Jeff
Old 04-21-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
There were some overhangs and the curve is blind.
Jeff
That's it! I knew I was in a bad spot so I made sure I didn't put anybody in a situation like what you encountered.

Chris

Old 04-21-2010, 01:08 PM

Default About the hike

The issue with that hike has been safe parking is it a problem?
Old 04-21-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatO View Post
The issue with that hike has been safe parking is it a problem?

Pat,
What hike are you talking about?

The person who I almost hit was alongside the main road between Elkmont ahd Townsend. There is a small patch of wild columbine (beautiful as shown in WVBrookie's photos). A woman was there taking photos of the flowers. They, unfortunately, are growing on one of the really bad cruves on that road. As I was passing by, she took a step backward to, what I believe, get a better focus or view. She had a tripod and what looked to be a pretty high end medium format camera (not digital slr or point and shoot, but a high end film camera). She came within less than 6" of the front bumper of my car. It would have been a tragic ending to both her trip and mine had she taken another half step back. There was no way I could have reacted quickly enough to avoid hitting her. A 4,000 pound car traveling 35mph vs. a petite woman of about 5'4" would not have ended well. For a brief second, she lost track of where she was while she was engrossed in the beauty of the mountains and the wildflowers.

It's so easy to do. The Smoky's are that beautiful that one can easily forget about the rest of the world around them. It's happened to me before. I once strayed from a trail to go look at a rock formation on the other side of a valley and got all turned around. It took about 2 hours to criss cross the hillside to find the trail again.

Just a warning for us all who enjoy the mountains. The Lord has blessed us with one of the most beautiful places on Earth. But in all that beauty there lies danger when we drop our guard for just a moment.

Jeff