Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Photography

Old 04-23-2010, 09:21 AM

Default I shot one . . .

Since there has been a good bit of Turkey talk here lately, I thought I would post my outing last weekend.

I had to help my father down at the lake house today installing a ridge vent on his shed. We decided to start the morning off with a turkey hunt. The morning was pretty uneventful until about a half hour before it was time to get up. I had moved quite a bit throughout the morning and had just sat down on a clearcut area that I had noticed a dusting area earlier. I had probably only been sitting for about two minutes when a hawk flew over. When the hawk made it to the other side of the field, I heard a gobble. I made a few soft yelps on one of my turkey calls and he fired right back. I began doing my best at talking turkey but I couldn't get a response. It was getting close to the time to head back to the meeting point when the gobbler came out of the woods in full strut. He had snuck up behind me in desert dry woods without even making a sound. My gun was on my knee rest and I didn't have a chance to move. I did however have my new camera laying in my lap near my hands and I took these shots. This bird was no more than 10 yards from me and never took his eye off of my hiding spot. He must have been looking straight through me trying to figure out where his woman was. I probably could have made a quick move for the trigger, but I honestly was having just as much fun with the camera in my lap. I could have shot this bird 100 times if I had wanted too but sitting there knowing that he didn't have a clue to what I was up to proved to me that I had won the game. He sat there for what seemed like several minutes before turning and heading away. He was drumming the whole time waiting on his lady to show her self. I'm sure he is still strutting up and down the logging road wondering about what might have been. This was by far the most fun turkey I have ever shot.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:47 AM

Love seeing that red, white, and blue and hearing that drumming! When he turned to leave you should've stood up and popped him I bet if you'd had a decoy out you might have gotten a shot. Still, those are awesome photos, and you were definitely victorious!

Were you using a box, slate, or mouth call?
Old 04-23-2010, 12:28 PM

Poor turkey, why don't ya'll get your food from the grocery store like everyone else