Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Warmwater Fly Fishing

Old 04-21-2010, 12:53 PM

Question Muskie Fishing on the Fly Rod

Anybody ever tried? I've found a few good articles, and I wanna give it a shot. My Dad bought some land up in KY near Hillsboro that is very near some primo muskie water...

I was up there turkey hunting over the weekend and told some of the guys I wanted to catch one on the fly rod and they all laughed! Now I definitely have to do it!

BTW, I also got my first turkey on Saturday! It was a real nice tom, weighed a little over 21 lbs w/ a 10" beard and decent spurs. I'll post pix as soon as our buddy emails them to me
Old 04-21-2010, 01:25 PM

Musky aren't impossible on the fly rod and they readily look at flies. I can gaurantee you that they have seen way more baits than they have fly rods and that works in your favor. You have just a good of a chance as the gear chunckers do. The only advanatage to throwing bait casters, is they can make 3 or 4 casts for every one of yours and not get as tired doing it. Musky like big streamers and you will most likely need to tie your own. I fish for them with an 8wt but and that is plenty big for where I fish as there are a lot of fish and they are eager to take the fly. For blind casting large flies to heavily pressured fish, it may be easier and less tiring to throw a bigger rod. I know that sounds backwards but it is easier to throw the larger flies on the appropriate sized rods. Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM

Well, you already answered one of my questions. I'm pretty sure Dad has an 8 wt that I could use, but I wasn't sure if that would be heavy enough. I've done some research online, and it sounds like it isn't unusual in the area where I'll be fishing to catch BIG muskies... Can you get a decent cast w/ a big ole streamer w/ wire leader without wearing yourself out on an 8 wt?
Old 04-21-2010, 03:49 PM

When we are Musky fishing, we have one guy running the boat and the other casting the shore or a weed bed so we change up either every fish or when we think we have fished enough so we don't get too worn out. If I had to blind cast an 8wt all day with a wind resistant fly, I'm sure I would get tired. Most of the flies we throw are between 6 and 8 inches. Not huge, but big enough to get the fishes attention and that is all we need. The average fish in the lakes we portage to are around 32" and we have caught 40" fish on occassion. We have also caught fish in the 40" 20lb range on the main lakes with fly gear but there are fish much bigger.

We don't use wire anymore either. We used to but now we use Mason Hard Mono in I beleive 40lb test and we have never lost a fish to it slicing through the line and we manage two or three fish before changing the fly just out of precaution.

We are fishing in Canada on lakes we have to hike to so the fish probably don't see many lures in a given year and are almost as aggressive as a Northern Pike. It isn't uncommon for us to land 10+ in a day on the small portage lakes. When fishing the main lake that gets hit pretty hard by serious Musky Fisherman, we get the usual follows and occasionally boat one which is fairly typical for those throwing standard musky tackle. We do get some laughs but only until we tell them how successful we actually are.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmreeves View Post
When we are Musky fishing, we have one guy running the boat and the other casting the shore or a weed bed so we change up either every fish or when we think we have fished enough so we don't get too worn out. If I had to blind cast an 8wt all day with a wind resistant fly, I'm sure I would get tired. Most of the flies we throw are between 6 and 8 inches. Not huge, but big enough to get the fishes attention and that is all we need. The average fish in the lakes we portage to are around 32" and we have caught 40" fish on occassion. We have also caught fish in the 40" 20lb range on the main lakes with fly gear but there are fish much bigger.

We don't use wire anymore either. We used to but now we use Mason Hard Mono in I beleive 40lb test and we have never lost a fish to it slicing through the line and we manage two or three fish before changing the fly just out of precaution.

We are fishing in Canada on lakes we have to hike to so the fish probably don't see many lures in a given year and are almost as aggressive as a Northern Pike. It isn't uncommon for us to land 10+ in a day on the small portage lakes. When fishing the main lake that gets hit pretty hard by serious Musky Fisherman, we get the usual follows and occasionally boat one which is fairly typical for those throwing standard musky tackle. We do get some laughs but only until we tell them how successful we actually are.
Thanks for the tips. I have been wanting to get a saltwater rig anyway, so I may go ahead and invest in something that could go both ways.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:26 PM

Carlito, dad and I have seen some massive muskie in Melton Hill just downstream from the bridge that goes over to South Clinton. We've never hooked up with any, but have had several come out of brush piles to look at our crankbaits. One particular one exploded from its hole and scared me so bad that I nearly fell off the bow of the boat. We were no more than 20 feet from the bank, he was about 50"-60" and I was off balance cause my foot was on the trolling motor control box. I thought I was going to be his next meal.

From the TWRA report, it looks like they are still stocking some big ones in there.
http://twra.biz/MuskyMeltonHillLakeT...lLake_TWRA.htm
Old 04-23-2010, 01:57 PM

Whoa! I'm gonna try to talk Dad into buying me a setup. I've got a lot of homework to do in terms of gear and figuring out what kind of flies to tie up, but I'd really like to learn how and where to catch 'em.

It's funny, I keep reading muskies being referred to as "the fish of 10,000 casts" or whatever. That TWRA article says an experienced muskie angler can land one about every 14 hours on Melton Hill... sounds to me like "the fish of 12 cold beers"

Do you have any idea why they don't have muskies on the TVA sportfish surveys? Think they're too big to shock up or maybe too dispersed?