Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-22-2010, 03:37 PM

Way to go, Barb!

I hate to hear that you had to run that hook on thru your finger... there's a very easy way to remove them that is virtually painless. I've used the trick many times, and it works on big and small hooks (not sure about a treble hook though). All you need is some tippet, string, or floss. Let's see if I can find instructions online...

Here go: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2001/0601/p2231.html

About halfway down the page, "string yank technique." I'm telling you, it works like a charm. Grannyknot can testify!
Old 04-22-2010, 06:37 PM

Great brownie, especially for a first. I've noticed a cookie cutter sizing on the bows as well - not a whole bunch of juvies, maybe not so much the drought as all the high water we've had earlier in the the year? Probably a combo. Not sure, but the result either ways seems to be consistly nicer that average fish - got to love it. No fun on the finger hook up - I had a nice 1/0 hook through my thumb joint once when I was a kid. Funny though how catching fish can cures all ailments!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:59 PM

Barbara--I'm am firmly convinced, and it is based on considerable personal observation, that most Park streams missed one and possibly two years of rainbow reproduction. Last year I caught a world of 'bows in the 5-7 inch range and the occasional one over 10 inches. Virtually nothing in between, and I'm talking (conservatively) a couple thousand fish over the course of the summer. It was true not just for Park waters but on streams in Graham County. In fact one day on some private water on Little Snowbird I must have caught a 100 'bows, and exactly five of them were over seven inches. The lower Nantahala River was an exception, but it's a tailwater and a totally different situation.
My good fishing buddy had the same experiences.
As for the browns, I think some large ones likely died, but I caught them through all size classes. They are consistently more difficult to catch, and the only real anomaly I noticed with them is that I never caught (or even hooked) a wild brown over 18 inches or so. Usually that will happen a few times each year. I'm not saying they aren't still there, because I'm sure they are. Just seemed to me to be fewer. On the other hand, those that did survive the drought have probably been enjoying sumptuous fare in the form of little 'bows. I confidently predict that there will be a lot of fat, healthy rainbows in the 8-11 inch range this year, and some of the photos I've already been seeing bear that you.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 04-22-2010, 09:41 PM

Mr. Casada, Jim, if I may,

Your assessment makes sense. Perhaps the browns, having eaten very well since the drought, will begin to show up, bigger and more plentiful. The stuff dreams are made of...
Old 04-23-2010, 12:41 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

I seen a bunch of small fish hitting dry flies on the river really late this evening I caught one and it was a brown but man there were a bunch nipping the surface and i am posting the pictures of the 2 browns my old boss and I caught today a 13" and a 13 1/2 I am amazed!
Old 04-23-2010, 02:26 AM

Default mini-bows

early thursday afternoon, i hit up tremont. several bugs on and around water. even saw a few yellow stoneflies. Landed 4 rainbows, 3-9 inches. missed twice as many. saw every fish that struck. as far as size, i really haven't been catching too many clones, mostly in the smaller range (4-7 inch). plan on trying for a brown this rainy weekend.
I think just about every fisherperson i know has some sort of fish hook story. I've had more encounters with hooks than i care to tell. my first was when a friend and myself were fishing in a small pond boat. he reared back with a rapala dangling from a spinning rod, tried heaving it forward and wham! free ear piercing!
Old 04-23-2010, 09:27 AM

OUCH your ear! That would really hurt! My first was running a trot line on the Kentucky River. Luckily the hook just scraped across my hand and didn't stick. After that tho, when Daddy said let go the line, I dropped it like it was an electric wire.

Carlito, looked up your website. Good info! I had forgotten that trick. Wish I had it day before yesterday. When I get home I will print it out and stick it in my vest. Good to have.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:49 PM

I was fishing the west prong of little river over easter and some how ended up with a size 16 stuck in my palm. I thought when I pulled it out, I sure am glad that I started smashing my barbs! I thought I was doing it for the trout.
Tad