Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 12-15-2009, 01:01 PM

Default Why I Fly-Fish

This is a subject that I have spent countless hours contemplating over the years, and there are many reasons that I know of, and perhaps several reasons that I am not fully aware of. I fly-fish for the challenge of trying to outsmart a fish, which I fail miserably at sometimes. Fly-fishing sends my thoughts back to my youth when I was trout fishing with a Zebco 202 on a trout stream that ran through my grandpa's farm, and images of him encouraging me abound in my head while I'm fly-fishing. I fly-fish for the memories that I have and hope to make while backpacking and fishing in the Great Smoky Mountains, the companionship of good friends and the telling of tall tales. For me, fly-fishing puts me smack dab in the middle of some of the most beautiful scenery that the Creator has made, and it just doesn't get any better than that. Fly-fishing for me is much like reading a book that you know you will never get to the last chapter on, and it is a really good book.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:47 AM

Speck Lover,

I really like the analogy of a great book without an end! Nothing like going back and reading old chapters again, too. As for out-smarting the fish, I like 'em good and dumb - one reason that I, too, am a speck lover.

This thread never gets old with all the different perspectives.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 04-09-2010, 10:11 PM

Speck Lover,

I agree with what you said completely. I must say that I was discouraged because of a shoulder problem and surgery last summer. I finally got back to do some fly fishing this week and must say that I have regained my passion again. It's really good to feel that excitement again.

Catching 4 trout helped but just being able to be in such a beautiful place and recharge the soul is why I love it.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 04-10-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfly View Post
I finally got back to do some fly fishing this week and must say that I have regained my passion again. It's really good to feel that excitement again.
Good for you cardfly! My fishing has been put on the back burner for the past 3 months due assisting my father (and mother) with his cancer, but my passion is as strong as ever. I'm glad to hear that your passion has been rekindled.

Old 04-28-2010, 11:39 AM

I recon Heaven will be the best great book with no ending. Just hope He has us some trout there. Thanks for the thread, Speck. Got me to thinking.