Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-29-2010, 11:02 PM

Default How low do you go?

Guys, I'm totally green to fishing for trout. I've heard a lot here recently about fishing a dry fly with a nymph on a dropper. My question is this- how long should the leader between my dry fly and my nymph be? should it be suspended, or right on the bottom?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:12 PM

I usually tie about 18 inches of tippet between the two. If it is deeper/bigger water like the little river I may do a bit more it just depends.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 04-29-2010, 11:14 PM

If you just want to tie one on and forget about it, a safe length of 18" or 24" will work in a lot of situations, but it should vary depending on where in the water column the fish are feeding, how deep the water is and what type of fly you are dropping. Most of the time, you'll probably want the nymph to be bouncing just along the bottom of the stream. Whenever you do tie on a dropper though, add more tippet than the depth you want to drop, as the dropper will usually be drifting behind the fly you're dropping from, not hanging straight down. Current will also affect how much or how little extra tippet you'll want to tie. Until you get used to casting a 2 or 3 fly rig, you'll want to check them frequently to make sure you haven't gotten them tangled...
Old 04-30-2010, 10:04 AM

Also depends on the water you're fishing... if you are high up in the Park and fishing small streams you don't need as much tippet as if you are fishing lower down in the park. If you are fishing tailwater like the Clinch or Holston, you'll want a lot more.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:30 PM

MickT--I typically have 18-24 incyhes of separation and will occasionally go as much as 30 inches. Beyond that i can't cast with anything approaching decent proficiency. Maybe it's just me, but I'd like to think I'm a decent hand with a fly rod, and certainly I've had plenty of practice. Obviously the depth of the stream you are fishing will be a key factor, but the flat-out fact of the matter is that with a two-fly rig, one of them being a dry, you can't tick the bottom with the same consistency you can when high sticking a nypmh.
Jim Casada
www.jjimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 05-01-2010, 12:05 AM

Since I've started dropping a heavier fly/nymph than the dry indicator fly I am having far less casting problems. Seems to balance the end of the tippet much more nicely.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynut View Post
If you just want to tie one on and forget about it, a safe length of 18" or 24" will work in a lot of situations, but it should vary depending on where in the water column the fish are feeding, how deep the water is and what type of fly you are dropping. Most of the time, you'll probably want the nymph to be bouncing just along the bottom of the stream. Whenever you do tie on a dropper though, add more tippet than the depth you want to drop, as the dropper will usually be drifting behind the fly you're dropping from, not hanging straight down. Current will also affect how much or how little extra tippet you'll want to tie. Until you get used to casting a 2 or 3 fly rig, you'll want to check them frequently to make sure you haven't gotten them tangled...

Great explanation.

I'll add that your dry fly matters as well. If you're trying to drop a #4 bead head stonefly off a #16 parachute adams, you're gonna have trouble. You probably can imagine this already, but you said you were "green" - so just in case.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Interesting posts, I have always just used 10-14 inches of tippet between the fly and the nymph it seems to sink faster and trail a lot less to me than with say 16-18 inches however, I am still a rookie at nypmhing but that method has produced some nice fish for me. In faster water it seems if you have a longer stretch of tippet it tends to ride more on the surface taking longer to sink than with shorter length.......this is just from my personal observation and i am sure adding some split shot would fix this.

I started out once with say 18'' made several casts caught nothing, took it down to about 10-11 and started catching fish so I'd say change it up and see what happens, many people have told me in fly fishing don't stick with the same thing and expect it to work every time.