Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-12-2010, 08:41 AM

Pete, I think the word you are searching for is intertia. Yes the water in the waders will be neutrally buoyant but will act as if it were not when it comes to moving it. It will not drag you down, but makes moving your legs to swim almost impossible. Accidently testing this law of physics almost cost me my life many years ago when I got washed in and my hip boots flooded.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:31 AM

Pete....where did you go to college...I too found myself in that same class as a freshman at Oxford College of Emory University...when they hog tie you for that final exam it gets a little freaky....one of the best classes I ever survived.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:08 PM

Thanks for the comments. While I have absolutely no intention of testing any of the theories.

When I'm on my pontoon, I wear my waders, a wading belt up close to the top and a PFD that doubles as a fly best (mesh shoulders and back with 10 or so pockets.

I like the idea of the ones with the C02 cartridge but if one whacks his head on the way in, pulling the handle is out of the question. I'm not sure about the reliability of the ones that self inflate when wet (what happens when you're out fishing in a hard rain?). Also, when my life is on the line is no time to realize something has failed, some connection has become corroded etc. Guess I'll stick with the "always on" type.

When wading, I do my best to not go in water much deeper than waist deep even though I have chest high waders. If unsure, I probe around with my wading staff. General rule I try to live by "if I can't see the bottom, I have no business walking around in the water there".

However, accidents do happen.

It seems the general consensus is wear the belt fairly tight (not cut off breathing tight), be careful, and do your best to not panic when you float your hat.

Again, it's something we all need to be reminded of from time to time.

Jeff
Old 05-12-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog 1 View Post
Pete....where did you go to college...I too found myself in that same class as a freshman at Oxford College of Emory University...when they hog tie you for that final exam it gets a little freaky....one of the best classes I ever survived.
Rog, I went to Georgia Tech. It was a graduation requirement up until 1987/88. I agree with you, the idea of getting hog-tied and jumping in the pool and having to stay afloat for 45 minutes was quite daunting. It ended up not being hard, but it was mentally challenging more than anything else...it was a great class...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-12-2010, 03:57 PM

Pete...I figured you either went to Tech or Emory...the two schools that required the course...our professor told us of a Tech grad that actually crawled along the bottom of the pool for the underwater test....had a friend in my class actually pass out doing that part....Emory no longer has this as a requirement either....sure the Risk Managers had something to say about tying up students and throwing them into the pool...always felt the purpose was to show you that you didn't have to reach for that panic button.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:23 AM

That panic test thing might come in handy for them Tech boys come fall.

I was wondering, though - if you wear 'em waist high and you think you can slip out of them, wouldn't they then fall down to your knees and ankles and make kicking or swimming almost impossible? I guess I'm thinking in a deep pool....
Old 05-13-2010, 09:16 AM

After reading the original story again, I have an additional thought on this tragedy. Maybe he experienced thermal shock which can not only cause you not to be able to breathe, but can even give you a heart attack.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 AM

I do know that on those occasions when I have stepped off into an unforeseen hole and that cold water hits there is an involuntary gasp...guess if this happened when you were totally submerged it might cause a large intake of water into the lungs...
Old 05-13-2010, 09:25 AM

Yep. Imagine if you had gone in head first.