Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 05-11-2010, 01:00 PM

Default Simms or Orvis New Light Weight Waders

Looking to see if anyone has a oppinion on some light weight waders for backcountry camping.

It time for a new pair of waders and the good thing is my birthday is coming up soon so its a prefect time to justify to the wife.

I have been looking at the Orvis new Sonicseam Pack and Travel at 2lbs 6oz and also the Simms Freestone stocking foot. Not exactly sure the weight of the Simms but someone told me they were also 2lbs 6oz but I have not seen that written anywhere.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:56 AM

My current waders are Simms and I totally love them. I don't have experience with either of these two specific waders, but I will always take Simms waders over Orvis. Just my opinion. Orvis makes some fine products too though.

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>
Old 05-12-2010, 12:16 PM

I have the older style Simms Freestone waders. I'm on my 4th year with thses waders and they are holding up well. I fish a lot and they get a pretty decent work out.

Just this spring, I've noticed a little dapmness on my socks and pant legs down around where the booties meet the fabric but I'm still not wet there.

I may need to replace them next year if it gets worse but even if I do, 4 hard summers, I got my money's worth out of them.

Jeff
Old 05-14-2010, 11:19 AM

I am not a brand name junky by any means and quite cheap too, I bought a pair of Holdgeman waders 3 years ago, i don't even think they weigh 2 lbs, but they are dry as a bone, I think they cost me a whopping $50 at dick's I think. I had a pair of Orvis before these and they didn't hold up near as well(not neccessarily the waders fault) I bought this pair when on a trip and have loved them ever since. Never let a drop of water in and I don't even notice them when they are on.