Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-13-2010, 12:49 PM

Default Fishing Trip May 8, 2010

Hey everyone,

Had a very fishing good trip on May 8 with my buddy Tim and guide Clay Aalders. After driving past the Chimneys picnic grounds, we pulled over to the side of the road. Looking down, it looked like about 200 feet to the river so after a controlled fall, we were ready to fish.

We started at about 8:45 A.M. and things started a little slow but quickly picked up. Together Tim and I caught well over 30 fish. I had several take the early release program or our count would have been much larger.

I caught all bows with one being almost 12 inches long and Tim got 2 brookies. Most were of a 2 nymph rig and lots of high sticking. I got one at the end on a dry fly.

Climbed out about 4:00 P.M. with great satisfaction and as close to a Bear Grylls experience as I will ever need. I told Clay that if I ate a bug, I would be Bear. This was a great trip, great guide, and great fishing buddy.

Hoping to have some fish pics to share with everyone soon.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."
Old 05-13-2010, 01:09 PM

Hey thanks. Nice report! My "controlled fall" days are mostly behind me, but I've done my share of sliding down the mountain holding onto whatever you can get your hands on. ( I've actually rolled head over heels down one mountainside...trust me, it's more fun to slide down turned sideways standing up... )

Great report -that is a nice fish! Good to hear about the specs.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:20 PM

Nice report.
Like Owl, at the young age of 49.5, my days of 200' controlled falls down a mountainside are behind me as well. It's not so much the long fall that bothers me any more, it' either 1) the sudden stop at the end, or 2) the prospect of climbing back up the hill if I make it to the bottom with nothing significant broken.

Glad you had a good trip.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:00 PM

Well being 50, if I would have known what I was getting into, who knows what I would have done. It really was good fishing though.

"My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my fly-fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Last edited by cardfly; 05-13-2010 at 04:11 PM..
Old 05-13-2010, 03:06 PM

There is a less controlled fall area just past the tunnel...still puts you in the same area and you can fish out to the trailhead for an easier take out....
Old 05-13-2010, 03:11 PM

Cardfly,

Great report and sounds like you all had a great day. The area you were fishing is one of my favorite. Chimney Tops Picnic area is an awsome area.

I love those Headwaters, I think some of the first brookies I ever caught came from that area.

P.S
You cant beat a guide for a new area and shortening that learning curve.

Thanks and look forward to any pictures
Old 05-13-2010, 08:23 PM

I was in the same area on Tuesday of this week. Fished from the Nature Exhibit pulloff to the exit just above the tunnel. When I started it was too windy, too cool and looked like it could rain any minute. But I had already played hooky from work so I did the controlled fall with gusto. Caught 16 altogether, all on dries (EHC and Stimulator). I started with a dry and a nymph dropper but the fish were hitting the dry from the beginning so I stuck with it.

One of the highlights of the day was seeing this guy.

I'm assuming he was a VERY fat otter but was shaped more like a beaver - short and dumpy vs. long and lean. He and I walked opposites of the river for a while keeping an eye on each other. A little extra curricular fun. My favorite fish of the day was the one that I posted on the OFPM thread.

All in all, a great day in one of the best fishing stretches in the Smokies.

Cheers

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 05-14-2010, 11:08 PM

I went down that 200 ft. drop last year and when I went to get
in the water there was a sow bear with 2 cubs!